Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 185 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2008, 02:57 PM   #1841
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tom Danley's Tapped Horn Patent

Quote:
Originally posted by David McBean

Surely there would be no problem in people building and selling "William Cowan type" tapped horns, if they so desire?
I've wondered about this also since it's acoustically no different than any other driver-in-mouth BLH and why I'm able to design these simple pipe horns using MJK's MathCad BLH worksheet. For example, here's the BLH sim of the Beyma Hornresp 'TH' I recently posted:

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif beyma 12p1000nd 14.14 hz blh.gif (7.7 KB, 660 views)
Old 13th May 2008, 03:16 PM   #1842
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Beyma 12P1000ND Small

Hi MaVo: Here is a 150 liter version of the Beyma 12P1000ND tapped horn with a larger throat area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beyma_12p1000nd_small.jpg (61.2 KB, 664 views)
Old 13th May 2008, 03:47 PM   #1843
diyAudio Member

Default GM_TH_BLH

Hi GM: Here is a tapped horn / back loaded horn with a FE206E.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_fe206e.jpg (64.8 KB, 657 views)
Old 13th May 2008, 04:30 PM   #1844
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi GM, thats an interesting twist on my idea, i appreciate the new input. Regarding my room, its about 6,6 * 5,5 meters, with the lowest resonance at about 26hz. If i setup my woofers to cancel the lower room modes, there is no room gain above about 20hz. If i choose corner placement, i get a boost at some low frequencies but also alot of notches, allways depending on where the listener is - my room is really a bad case. This is why i think maximally flat in combination with proper placement to cancel some room modes will work better.

I made a spectrum analyzer survey about my music and i found out, that while 30hz bass is quite common, 20hz is rare and mostly due to vinyl rumbling, strange samples etc. I only found two records, that use a <30hz tone as a bassline. From this point of view, it doenst do harm to use a 30hz horn. Most of my music drops like a rock below 30hz, some even at 40hz. It seems like many mastering engineers like to have a highpass there.

Hi tb46, also much thanks to you, for the idea. I didnt know i could get such a flat <100hz response, i tried and found no parameter set for it. If i only could cross my mains so low. Well i could do this, but that would rob me of 15db headroom
Old 13th May 2008, 04:40 PM   #1845
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, it's been my experience that mounting a wide BW driver inside the mouth > ~1/4-3/4" affects its HF response, rolling it off with increasing depth, so at 30 cm I'd be surprised if it didn't need a tweeter.

GM
Old 13th May 2008, 06:00 PM   #1846
diyAudio Member

Default TH_BLH_Hornresp

Hi GM: I agree, this was mainly to show that the tapped horn design (and wizard) in Hornresp does a fine job for BLH's too.
Bye the way (Post #1839), I always read and appreciate your inputs. Thank you.
Old 13th May 2008, 06:13 PM   #1847
diyAudio Member

Has anyone explored the use of a coupling chamber in a tapped horn? Coupling chambers seem to be a standard feature of front loaded horns, but haven't noticed many designs in this thread which use one. The additional filtering they provide could be beneficial.
Old 13th May 2008, 06:41 PM   #1848
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

I tried to find a good use for such chambers by modelling in hornresp, but could not find one. Most of the time, it opens big notches and makes the response look like a scenery of hills. I would like to see a working one too.
Old 13th May 2008, 07:05 PM   #1849
diyAudio Member

It just ainít fair Ö

Without Tom Danley, there wouldnít even be a Tapped Horn Ö but that doesnít mean Tom will get a patent. After examining his European patent application, and reading up on the Jensen Transflex from the early 50ís and the work by Klayman in the 90ís, Iím not sure whatís left for Tom to patent. David McBean credits Peter Tappan with analyzing the Transflex back in í58 and Davidís HornResp program uses Tappanís analysis to model the Tapped Horn.

In the mean time, thereís absolutely nothing preventing you from making a few Tapped Horns, and even selling them ... but be warned, if you set up production, and sell a bunch, and Tom does get his patent, he may come around asking for a share.
Old 13th May 2008, 10:35 PM   #1850
PASC is offline PASC  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hello!

And what about Robert G.Pruden Patent US 3,047,090 granted to him July 31, 1962, filled May 7, 1958.

Go to:

http://free.patentfetcher.com/Patent...=3%2C047%2C090

and type 3,047,090.

Isn't it a TH?

Regards, Paulo.

Hide this!Advertise here!