Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 151 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2008, 03:09 AM   #1501
diyAudio Member

th46: Thanks for giving the 4012 a go. It's good to have something to compare your results to...

I've had a look at my drivers tho, and I've actually found that they are the Eminence Magnum 12HO which is pretty much the same driver as the 4012, but I put in the new specs anyway as there are a few differences.

This is the first time I've used hornresp, and it's a pretty full-on... I've tried a similar sized TH with the Mag 12HO, and it's not too bad. I put in values for SD1 and SD5, and let the tapped horn wizard do the rest... The rest is pretty much wild guesses so far, apart from I know that SD shouldn't go over a 1:3 compression ratio in order to save the drivers cone... I need to do some reading up on hornresp really...

My attempt:
Attached Images
File Type: gif th12ho.gif (83.8 KB, 1060 views)
Old 11th April 2008, 03:14 AM   #1502
diyAudio Member

I also have 2 Pioneer car subs which are in reflex enclosures right now, and sound pretty poor. I thought I'd have a go and see if these are any good in a TH... The model number is TS-W305C, and it's a 12" unit, even tho the cone is closer to 10" really.

The box works out quite a bit smaller, and it's still good around 20Hz.

If I built 2 of these TH's, and put the mouthes next to each other, would I get more extension like you get with normal front loaded horns?
Attached Images
File Type: gif th12pioneer.gif (81.4 KB, 1042 views)
Old 11th April 2008, 06:23 AM   #1503
diyAudio Member

I decided to give AkAbak another try. I was redirected to a page where they were downloading v.2, but it's crippled and they want $700 for the full version. The old version / demo is no more.

Can anyone toss me a copy?
Old 11th April 2008, 07:32 AM   #1504
diyAudio Member

hi don,
I got a copy here but I can't send you an email because Im still a newbie and my account is in moderation, could you post your email instead?
Old 11th April 2008, 07:44 AM   #1505
kstrain is offline kstrain  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default AkAbak

Hi

you mean that

http://www.randteam.de/download/dl.p...kabak_Download

does not work for you? (I just re-installed from there and it runs on XP SP2.)

Ken

edit: typo
Old 11th April 2008, 01:57 PM   #1506
diyAudio Member

Alright gang, here's another cry for help. I have a driver designed for a leaky sealed box(car door) that is available as a first TH candidate. I would like to use it to supplement my computer speakers from 30-100+Hz. Max SPL is not critical, but minimal size is. This is foremost a learning project, so any specific goals for end use can be suppressed if I get a listenable result and improved understanding of the design process. I am attaching my best results, but I seem to be an octave too low. Hopefully some of you will be able to clear the cobwebs from my mind.
Attached Images
File Type: gif mtx 6.5 tapped.gif (63.6 KB, 1002 views)
Old 11th April 2008, 02:10 PM   #1507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Snyder
I decided to give AkAbak another try. I was redirected to a page where they were downloading v.2, but it's crippled and they want $700 for the full version. The old version / demo is no more.

Can anyone toss me a copy?
Don't know what happened, but everything's fine now. I was using an old link, and got redirected and lost. Could be they were doing some mods, and I fell into a hole.

Anyway, thanks!
Old 11th April 2008, 04:25 PM   #1508
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boydon_lepasci

I am attaching my best results, but I seem to be an octave too low.
Then make it shorter. BTW, what's its model number and Xmax for my records? It makes a ~theoretically ideal woofer TH, though of course much too large for your app at ~745 L:

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif mtx 6.5 18.32-130.87 hz expo th.gif (19.2 KB, 1008 views)
Old 12th April 2008, 09:24 AM   #1509
diyAudio Member

^ Wow, that's a lot of SPL from such a small driver!

Right, I'm slowly working my way thru this huge thread, and I'm slowly getting to grips with hornresp. Now, I've got a JBL GTO 1202D car woofer that look like it might be ok... Specs here:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Bo.../GTO_1202D.pdf

The Fs is a little low tho, but it's a DVC driver... I was wondering the best way of modeling this in hornresp as it can either have an impedance of 1 or 4 ohms depending in weather you wire it in series or parallel.

EDIT: Is there any way I can make this a little flatter, or will this sound ok it only varies 1 or 2 db between 20-80hz? This is the pioneer car sub, fwiw.
Attached Images
File Type: gif th12pioneer2.gif (19.4 KB, 899 views)
Old 12th April 2008, 07:52 PM   #1510
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

BTW, what's its model number and Xmax for my records?
It's a 6-1/2" midbass from an MTX RT260S component set. Unfortunately I don't have a datasheet with Xmax on it. The TS parameters I am using are from the Woofer Tester II. Could you post the input window that goes with that SPL plot? I'm still trying to get the hang of picking flare rates and adapting them to the desired BW(using Leach's math via ML Util) and efficiency.

Hide this!Advertise here!