Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2008, 01:15 AM   #1091
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Volvotreter_Tang Band_W6-1139_TH

Volvotreter: Hi Erik, Very nice work with the W6-1139, love the pictures. Please, can you expand on the sound differences between your subwoofers, particularly as to home theater use? I made a few small changes in the Hornresp model and I'm attaching the input and SPL pages for your information.

I have tried to email you in reference to you TH spreadsheet, my email is not going through. Anyway, I got it going in Quattro Pro by changing the "Pattern Color" for the blacked out fields from black to orange.

And yes, a drawing to show your geometric layout solution would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvotreter_tb_w6-1139sc_th.jpg (65.5 KB, 943 views)
Old 6th February 2008, 02:04 AM   #1092
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Volvotreter

Especially compare them (75l net)...........

Thanks to all of you for sharing knowledge and making DIY HiFi to such a great hobby.
Greets!

You're welcome!

Actually only ~47 L, making the tiny 77.4 L conic TH ML's math calc'd seem huge by comparison, though of course it has more gain BW:

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif tb w6-1139sc or sg 21.53-159 hz conic th.gif (22.0 KB, 923 views)
Old 6th February 2008, 02:30 AM   #1093
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Volvotreter

............that one can solve that entirely geometrically. If interested I could possibly create a drawing showing that.
That would be nice, I know the geometrics for spirals, but not a simple way to calc folding up a long TH, which will be a requirement for this corner loaded long, skinny TH of only ~187.6 L. Talk about packing '10 lbs into a 2 lb bag':

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif tb w6-1139sc or sg 12-159 hz expo th.gif (19.3 KB, 897 views)
Old 6th February 2008, 02:39 AM   #1094
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swak

Parts express and tb-speakers list the W6-1139SI on their websites. Do you know how this model differs from the one you used?
FWIW, I didn't bother to research any differences between these, but inputted differing specs for the SC,SG,SI models including some measured specs and they all superimposed so close in one of my sims that I had a hard time seeing any difference, so are all interchangeable AFAIK.

GM
Old 6th February 2008, 03:50 AM   #1095
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

Actually only ~47 L.......
Oops, ~48 L.

GM
Old 6th February 2008, 07:19 AM   #1096
diyAudio Member

@William
I was hunting for a sub going lower than the Klipsch. This goal was clearly achieved. The large TH also sounds very good (especially the lowst registers). At the same time it is capable of insane levels. @20Hz it shakes my living room (brick walls, concrete ceiling and floor) and I daren't to turn up louder. Unbelievable. Funny to see the eyes of ppl who have not experienced someting like this before. A different category of sub (compared to what I have listened to before).

Sonically I like it a lot but I had some ingerartion issues with my mains. When it sounded right, I was able to hear the sub being on the right. May be I'll built a second one. But until then, I will run the TH below the Klipsch (< 50Hz).

Erik

(more later, I'm in a hurry)
Old 6th February 2008, 08:40 AM   #1097
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

@GM - What you say sounds very reasonable. Also, its way over my head to think about when and why a TH would not work as in the simulation.

@cowanaudio - Thanks for mentioning these drivers, a quick sim in hornresp gave a near flat response from about 30-300hz with falling response to both sides. that is what i was in search of. now i have to find out, if there are drivers that can achieve this in the 20-100hz area and what is so special about the ts parameter combination.

@volvotreter - great to see more success stories! Have fun
Old 6th February 2008, 09:21 AM   #1098
zei is offline zei  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default TangBand WQ8-1071

Hi everyone.

I tried to simulate in HornResp but i don,t get it..

Could anyone give it a try? and se how large the box would be?

This is for the TB W8Q-1071 driver.

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w8q-1071d.htm

Thanx

/JZ
Old 6th February 2008, 12:15 PM   #1099
diyAudio Member

When you are looking for a suitable 8" you may give the Visaton TIW 200 XS 8 OHM a closer look. Besides it looked good in my sims, it has got 11mm xmax and is very well built:

TIW 200 XS

Erik
Old 6th February 2008, 03:55 PM   #1100
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TB W8Q-1071

Hi zei: Had this one in my files.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf zei_w8q-1071d.pdf (44.9 KB, 121 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!