Collaborative Tapped horn project - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2007, 11:03 AM   #91
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by paulspencer
One more thought. In the Danley version, does anyone know how the driver is actually mounted? It has an access panel in the middle - could it be that the driver is actually in there?
I assume you have seen this thread?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 23rd March 2007, 04:14 PM   #92
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

As TD states and shows in an excursion plot sim in his Tapped Horn WP, there's actually less gain at tuning than in a BR, only the gain due to pipe loading, so yes, you're 'robbing Peter to pay Paul', but it's a good one for a prosound sound app if the TP is tuned low since they're only really interested in the ~60 Hz - up BW and particularly in the ~80 Hz - up BW. For a typical music/HT app, the TP makes no sense to me since it's going to be XO'd <80 Hz and typical high excursion drivers combined with relatively cheap mega power in simple pipe horns can damage houses at low distortion levels, not to mention these can easily be ~accurately simmed using any TL or BLH software.

WRT the TOP's SQ, as I noted, until proven otherwise, I believe it was all the other horn loaded cabs in close proximity 'singing along'. WRT PB's opinion, I've auditioned 8th order BPs (Karlson K-15) that if BW limited and combined with mids/HF compression horns (Altec 805 multi-cell/288 driver in this case) was heart attack 'fast' enough to make you believe you were standing next to a Nick Mason drum solo, so IMO it's dependent more on the design/implementation than the number of orders of resonance.

As always though, YMMV.

GM
Old 23rd March 2007, 05:17 PM   #93
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
... was heart attack 'fast' enough to make you believe you were standing next to a Nick Mason drum solo...
Been there, had the t-shirt, (last seen polishing the car). He's actually fairly quiet as drummers go...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 23rd March 2007, 07:17 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Greets!

True, but I can't remember the names of any of the heavy metal band's drummers. Regardless, it takes a pretty serious wide BW HE system to reproduce any drum set solo at ~accurately at ~live levels.

GM
Old 23rd March 2007, 08:37 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Try Joe Morello.

Ray
Old 23rd March 2007, 08:52 PM   #96
diyAudio Moderator

Nah, he's a wuss. Now this guy is loud...
Old 23rd March 2007, 09:01 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Agreed.....I was going for precision rather than volume.

Ace of Spades...this guy is a beast!!!
Old 24th March 2007, 04:22 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Default BP/ Karlson etc

GM

Seems to me for music like Nick Mason etc, 80 - 400 Hz is most critical.

I’ve considered and dropped Onkens, am deferring bass horns till I have more time & skill, and thinking of a simple vented mid bass 15”. I have a pair of JBL 2035HPL’s with Fs 43 Hz, 7 mm Xmax, low Le of 0.25, BL of 17 etc. (I don’t seek to get to live levels, say 105-110 dB will do) ~ not Altecs, but within my budget.

Other than horns, in your opinion would a Karlson or some other rig do transients/ drums any better than a good driver in a good vented box?

Cheers
Old 24th March 2007, 08:01 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Default Re: BP/ Karlson etc

Greets!

Freddy and a few others don't mind XOing Ks as high as 500 Hz, but going from a near 50 yr distant memory, I do, so something like what RCA-fan calls a 1/2 horn seems a reasonable solution, though I prefer the better damped ~max flat impedance TL variant.

Got the rest of the HPL's specs?

GM
Old 25th March 2007, 02:34 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Hi GM

I thought a concern of all or most Ks, is a peak at c. 200 Hz, often about 2 dB. Guess it might be notched out, but maybe it’s only the peak giving an illusion of better transient response?

A constraint, and a workaround: I don't want a box bigger than about 70 L (2.5 cubic ft), *but I will use an active “sub” underneath which goes deep, crossing about 60 – 80 Hz

The tapped horn or a TL would be an alternative to the sub.
I apologize for digressing to the next ~3 octaves above what a TH can cover.

The HPL's specs are:
Fs 43
Re 4.7
Qms 4.9
Qes 0.36
Sd 880 cm2
Vas 192 L (6.8 cubic ft)
Xmax 7.0 mm (0.28”)
Le 0.25

With the low Le, I had one steam of thought that the 2035 could be used even to say 1200 Hz without too much distortion(?), avoiding the need for a mid driver. The idea of avoiding a mid driver is one less crossover, less induction losses, and allow a sweet low powered amp (Gordon Rankin’s 2 watt 45 SE Bugle).

Now beginning to think that’s the horse driving the cart: I should use a mid (have some good candidates of similar efficiency) and only need to take the mid bass up to eg 300-400 Hz, ie the piston range of a 15".

Rather than depth, I was asking after optimizing midbass –lower mid transient response & impact. Maybe within those parameters it comes down to the quality of the driver and the box construction?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!