Suggestions for new driver for sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a Mission 700AS sub that recently bit the dust. It all of a sudden began making this horrible droning sound and as I ran over to shut it off it started smoking. Removing the grill revealed that the poly driver was in the process of melting, apparently from some sort of failure of the amplifier. The weird thing was that I was watching TV at low volume... but anyways, I digress.

So, now I'm planning to replace the driver and amp. There is a BASH 500W amp that is a drop in replacement to the old amp as far as the cutout goes (12" x 8") so I'm probably going to go with that. I'm a little more up in the air on the driver. The enclosure is currently 1.7 cu ft without the driver. The port was tuned to, from my calculations, 32 Hz. I've actually removed the port and will replace it with another port to retune the enclosure. I'm currently building a TC-3000 15" subwoofer right now and I'd intended to move this subwoofer into another room, or to give it to a friend who doesn't have a sub. I'm not too well versed on subs with smalled drivers... I've never given them much thought. What is the best low frequency extension I could conceivably achieve? I have been considering using a TC-1000 10" sub since they seem to be of good quality and yet reasonably priced. Does anyone have other driver suggestions that might work better in then enclosure I have? I've tried modeling the TC-1000 and a Sound Splinter RL-i10 and they both model nearly identically (perhaps they are using the same motor and a very similar top assembly).

Reducing the volume of the enclosure is an option as well. It seems that if I tune this thing lower that I get a resurgence in output at the tuning frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.