Design suggestions for Odd dimensions/limited size Sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2007, 12:29 AM   #1
uzor is offline uzor  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Design suggestions for Odd dimensions/limited size Sub

I've been working on updating a console radio that I bought at the local GoodWill. You can see my main project thread here: Speaker help rebuilding a console radio

For the mains I am going with a pair of 8" Dayton classic woofers, and have the cabinet size and such worked out for those for the most part. When I got to selecting a sub, I had more or less decided on a 10" Dayton HF reference series sub. Got to the point that I was mocking up the main cabinets as well as the receiver that will be used as a source, and I discovered that my 10" sub won't fit in the traditional downfiring orientation that I had planned on.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a decent view of the open area that the sub would have to fit into. For this mockup, I placed the receiver at the front of the unit so I could see the open area, but in the final design, the subwoofer (assuming I have one) will be at the front of the cabinet so as to allow me easy access to the receiver should I require it. A quick computation shows the max internal volume available for the sub as 39.1 liters, with a probable max speaker diameter of 8" (unless I use some kind of funky angled mounting).

Available (outer) dimensions are :
23" wide
15 3/8" high
9 1/2 " deep

Obviously, this will be used mostly for music, but I'd like to avoid limiting my options, if possible. I was thinking/prefered a vented design for the lower bass response it gives me.

I'm open to pretty much anything that might fit/work in the available space to give me some decent bass. If you all think that it can't be done properly in the available space, let me know as well, and I can looking into changing around my mains design choices to give me some decent/better bass without a dedicated sub. Thinking of a Bash 300S plate amp, but that's not set in stone either.

Ideas?
Old 6th March 2007, 04:10 AM   #2
zuki is offline zuki  United States
diyAudio Member

how about an infinite baffle design. where the driver just fires out of a vent into the room ?

and the back area of the woofer is open.
Old 6th March 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

How exactly would I orient that? driver facing downward or upward? Given the space I have to work with, where/how would you vent the side not firing downwards?

Thanks!!!
Old 6th March 2007, 07:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

here are some free air type designs

http://www.hometheatertalk.com/DIY_Projects/IB.jpg

http://white.hometheatertalk.com/ima.../11_ampbox.jpg

http://white.hometheatertalk.com/tips/ib.htm

http://www.usdaudio.com/tutorials/ap-tut1.php
Old 6th March 2007, 08:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Apologies for the crappy pic, but my phone is all I had with me at the moment, and it'd be too hard to try to reproduce this digitally. I was searching through the forums for "Infinite Baffle Sub" based on zuki's initial reply, and ran across this post. Did a couple calculations in WinISD Pro, and it looks like everything will fit well within the total volume I have available to me. The only problem is that with two PRs, the length needed is more than I have available. Here is my proposed solution (BTW, the 21.5 on the top drawing should be the total length, not just the middle part):

In the picture, the W8-740C would be in the bottom middle position, with a PR on the angled piece to either side. This would still mount to a downfiring position, meaning that the PR's would be recessed a little bit on either end. Unless otherwise noted, all measurements on here are in inches, and this is using an internal volume of about 23 liters, which I came up with using WinISD Pro:

In other news, the amplifier that, in part, inspired me to start this project, is back in stock at Parts Express after having been de-listed for quite some time! you can see that here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-793 . I'm more than a little excited about this, since I'd been unable to find another plate amp with the crossover and volume on a separate plate anywhere!

Zuki - If I were to continue on with the IB idea, since this cabinet is of limited size, would I just mount the speaker to the floor of the enclosure, and leave the back open to the remaining free space inside the radio? Is there any way to model the response of this after I determine what the effective internal volume would be?
Old 6th March 2007, 09:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

BassVent by Linear

do a search and read how it is built.

i could not find a picture of it
Old 16th March 2007, 03:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

this thing is what i was looking for.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0P-9/?start=40
Old 16th March 2007, 10:53 PM   #8
Account disabled at member's request

I have read through your other thread and it's my opinion that you should save yourself some trouble and build yourself a nice proper subwoofer seperate from this unit. It wasnt constructed in the first place to accommodate low freq. bass. It will most likely rattle excessively and drive you crazy.

Hide this!Advertise here!