Focal 11" options for Newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Focal 11" options for Newbie

Hello
I Have a Focal 27wx 11" sub that had been in my car, i have not used it for the last couple of years, I am in the process of setting up a home theatre system and was think of using this sub for a home configuration. I have a few questions hopefully someone can help out with

1.Is this advisable?
2.Does it have the potential to sound good in a home theatre setup?
3.What are cost effective options for an amplifier and crossover.
4.How do I figure out the ideal type of encloser?

I am sorry I am new to this hobby and much of the terminology is above my current level. The speaker will be connected to my onkoyo tx-ds989 receiver. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. These are the specs

Size: 11 inch
Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.75 - 1.50 cu. ft.
Rec. Ported Box Dims: 0.75 - 1.50 cu. ft.
Free Air Usage: not recommended
Sensitivity: 90 dB
Frequency Response: 20-1,500 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 250W
Peak Power Handling: 500W
Impedance: 4 ohms subwoofer wiring options

Thanks

Lex

Problem with those drivers is that their suspension is stiff, and you'll need huge power and compensation (bass EQ) to get some bass out of it, if mounted in a cabinet. On the other hand, only a small enclosure is needed.

Try to find ready made modules, with the power thet the driver support (500W), and some bass EQ (tunable). Hypex does have such amps.

Cheers

- dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.