Computer sub experiment- possible TL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

I am looking at making a sub for my PC, mainly for games. I have looked at using a vented box of 30L with the following sub:
Venom 8
I have designed a box that is short and squat, with a slanted front so it can be used as a foot rest. The other possibilty I was looking at is a tapered TL, maybe one that sits against the wall, with the open end near the back of the monitor. Could this sub be used in a tl setup?

Any help would be appreciated.
Brett

Neither the driver or the proposed 30L ported box could really be called a sub. The manufacturer lists the f3 at 40 hz.

Semantics aside, if this is the type of response you want either a ported or tl should work fine, although the vas and qts values indicate the box won't be any smaller than the ported box, possibly a bit bigger.

I really wounldn't bother with this line of drivers unless you already own them.

Just a guy - thanks for the response - straight to the point as always!
Since I am not after a mind blowing HT experience, I have tried to keep this little "side" project as cheap as possible. I have been looking around at a few of the so-called 2.1 computer speaker setups, and you don't get much for your money (lots of plastic though) I do have a 30w rms mono home amp, that I will use to power my bass speaker.
So I suppose if I do not go with the venom, maybe I could look at a 10" - possibly sealed that would fit in a 30l box?
anyone recommend a sub under $100 available in Aust that would suit?

I'm not familiar with them either, and I haven't even bothered to try to model this 8 inch, but when you consider price vs specs this does not seem like a winner to me. More like an overpriced midbass driver.

We have previously talked about the 15 inch version of this thing which I did model, and compared to the half dozen or so other 15's I have previously modelled it didn't have anywhere near the low bass potential of any of the other moderately priced 15's.

I suppose if you could squeeze ~32 hz out of it in a reasonable sized package it could be useful as a computer (sub?) woofer but maybe I'm just too used to our North American driver selection and prices to see this as worthwhile.

Anyway, I'm really only suggesting there are better drivers out there for the money, if this is not true down under, I apologize.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Dunno, I just know that drivers tend be pricey 'down under' since they have a captive clientèle, so assumed he either already had it or had already chosen the price/performance 'winner'. Wouldn't be the first time I've assumed wrong though.........

Yeah, ignoring the Le slope, ~61 L tunes it ~flat to 32 Hz.

GM

GM
Thanks for your interest.
I do not have this woofer at this stage, but I have been looking around for a 'cheap' woofer to do this job.
Your last post states 61L - is this for sealed, ported or a TL? If it is a TL, what taper are we looking at?

Looking at some modeling i have done with the 10" version of this (I may be able to get one of thse cheap) shows that i may get better output with a sealed box.

"Just a guy" - I really wish we have more access to the drivers from nth America, but it just doesn't happen. I think my only other option is to try and get my hands on a 10" version of either a pioneer, JVC or sony sub.... it's either that or the papercone replacement speakers that you can buy.... :bigeyes:

I wonder if your best bet is to wait until the local carsound store has a sale and pick up a 10inch car sub. I have to say, the little logitech computer sub I have here is pretty impressive for its size, and they aren't that expensive on ebay. I actually got mine for nothing. I doubt that is what you are after though, given that you want a project.

A taper of 5xSd: 1xSd and 152 cm long with the Venom 8inch driver placed at 54 cm from the top, 1.44 kg of filling with density= 4.8 kg/m^3 will and a internal volume of 92 L result in this at 8 W input:

b

Attachments

• venom8tl.gif
    venom8tl.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 235
Yeah, it's a huge battle between low frequency extension and box size. That's why I wasn't so thrilled with this line of drivers, as the vas and qts call for medium/large boxes WRT SD.

Of course, I am a low bass nut and lots of people are perfectly happy with those logitech computer "subs". I've heard them and they certainly have impressive, if not incredibly low output. Tiny little suckers too. That 8 should be able to stomp one of those little guys if you tune in the 40 hz range.

bludbunny said:
GM
Thanks for your interest.

Your last post states 61L - is this for sealed, ported or a TL? If it is a TL, what taper are we looking at?

Greets!

You're welcome!

An end loaded MLTL since a TQWT would need to be somewhat larger than Bjorno's to get a ~flat half space 32 Hz sim.

Anyway, since you didn't answer my Qs, I just measured my desk height and added 8" to it so the driver can use its top for a little extra boundary gain when shoved right up against it and you can use some form of EQ to roll it off if it's too 'boomy':

L = 40.5"

W x D = 91.44"^2

vent = 3" dia. x 4.5" near/at the bottom

stuffing sim = 0.2 lbs/ft^3

GM

Attachments

• venom 8 end loaded 32 hz mltl.jpg
    venom 8 end loaded 32 hz mltl.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 136
GM - once again thanks for more info.

I went for a look at lunch today, and one of the car sound stores have some deals on - two subs that caught my eye were:

JVS GD-4300
and
Pioneer TS-W306c

These are both 12's. Doing some quick modelling on them points out that the pioneer would be happy in a small box.
Maybe I just go for a 12? My only concern of course is the location of the magnet to my Pc (monitor is LCD)
Does anyone know if these would be suitable for a TL?
Maybe I should just grab one for these for a bedroom HT sub one day :D

OK - I'll stick with the 8" for this - I was getting too far off topic here!
GM - That design you listed above as the MLTL - what is the "configuration" of it?
My basic understanding is:
Make a tall box, maybe 4" deep and ~22" wide and about 40" high - no taper. Sub goes in the top / close to the end, and other end is open? With a short port next to the opening? Is the opening 91.44"^2 ?

Sorry for the dumb *** q's but i am just trying to get my head around this. I am a very visual person (ex CAD operator) so I might look for some draiwngs of the design.

Brett
:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.