Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2007, 11:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Computer sub experiment- possible TL?

Hi guys

I am looking at making a sub for my PC, mainly for games. I have looked at using a vented box of 30L with the following sub:
Venom 8
I have designed a box that is short and squat, with a slanted front so it can be used as a foot rest. The other possibilty I was looking at is a tapered TL, maybe one that sits against the wall, with the open end near the back of the monitor. Could this sub be used in a tl setup?

Any help would be appreciated.
Brett
Old 25th February 2007, 01:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Neither the driver or the proposed 30L ported box could really be called a sub. The manufacturer lists the f3 at 40 hz.

Semantics aside, if this is the type of response you want either a ported or tl should work fine, although the vas and qts values indicate the box won't be any smaller than the ported box, possibly a bit bigger.

I really wounldn't bother with this line of drivers unless you already own them.
Old 25th February 2007, 02:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just a guy - thanks for the response - straight to the point as always!
Since I am not after a mind blowing HT experience, I have tried to keep this little "side" project as cheap as possible. I have been looking around at a few of the so-called 2.1 computer speaker setups, and you don't get much for your money (lots of plastic though) I do have a 30w rms mono home amp, that I will use to power my bass speaker.
So I suppose if I do not go with the venom, maybe I could look at a 10" - possibly sealed that would fit in a 30l box?
anyone recommend a sub under $100 available in Aust that would suit?
Old 27th February 2007, 10:35 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

I'm not a 'gamer', how low do they go and/or how low does your soundcard go before rolling off? All things considered, this driver should work fine if ~32 Hz is low enough.

GM
Old 27th February 2007, 10:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just a guy
I really wounldn't bother with this line of drivers unless you already own them.
Greets!

OK, why? I'm not familiar with them.

GM
Old 27th February 2007, 11:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm not familiar with them either, and I haven't even bothered to try to model this 8 inch, but when you consider price vs specs this does not seem like a winner to me. More like an overpriced midbass driver.

We have previously talked about the 15 inch version of this thing which I did model, and compared to the half dozen or so other 15's I have previously modelled it didn't have anywhere near the low bass potential of any of the other moderately priced 15's.

I suppose if you could squeeze ~32 hz out of it in a reasonable sized package it could be useful as a computer (sub?) woofer but maybe I'm just too used to our North American driver selection and prices to see this as worthwhile.

Anyway, I'm really only suggesting there are better drivers out there for the money, if this is not true down under, I apologize.
Old 28th February 2007, 01:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Dunno, I just know that drivers tend be pricey 'down under' since they have a captive clientèle, so assumed he either already had it or had already chosen the price/performance 'winner'. Wouldn't be the first time I've assumed wrong though.........

Yeah, ignoring the Le slope, ~61 L tunes it ~flat to 32 Hz.

GM
Old 28th February 2007, 07:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

GM
Thanks for your interest.
I do not have this woofer at this stage, but I have been looking around for a 'cheap' woofer to do this job.
Your last post states 61L - is this for sealed, ported or a TL? If it is a TL, what taper are we looking at?

Looking at some modeling i have done with the 10" version of this (I may be able to get one of thse cheap) shows that i may get better output with a sealed box.

"Just a guy" - I really wish we have more access to the drivers from nth America, but it just doesn't happen. I think my only other option is to try and get my hands on a 10" version of either a pioneer, JVC or sony sub.... it's either that or the papercone replacement speakers that you can buy....
Old 28th February 2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wonder if your best bet is to wait until the local carsound store has a sale and pick up a 10inch car sub. I have to say, the little logitech computer sub I have here is pretty impressive for its size, and they aren't that expensive on ebay. I actually got mine for nothing. I doubt that is what you are after though, given that you want a project.
Old 28th February 2007, 09:39 AM   #10
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
A taper of 5xSd: 1xSd and 152 cm long with the Venom 8inch driver placed at 54 cm from the top, 1.44 kg of filling with density= 4.8 kg/m^3 will and a internal volume of 92 L result in this at 8 W input:

b
Attached Images
File Type: gif venom8tl.gif (10.8 KB, 218 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!