Subwoofer Cables?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I just bought a MJ Acoustics Reference 200, and I am looking at buy some interconnects,
I would need a pair, because it will be comming out of my preamp ( L +R ).
Does anyone suggest some ? It is a two channel audio not home theatre. They have to be fairly good. I heard Analysis oval sub are good? Need some opinions please.

Thanks

This is a DIY forum, most of the recomendations here are going to be about doing it yourself. From that standpoint, we would recomend you stay away from the many over priced products from major companies and roll your own. What tends to benefit a subwoofer best is a larger than normal diameter cable, good shielding, and I recomend a connection between the shield and the sub amps ground.

I recomend using multiple cables to achieve at least a total guage of 18 for the hot, if not 16. I recomend a good overall shield for these cables. And, like I mentioned earlier, solder a wire with a spade connection so to the shield so that you can connect that to the chassis of the sub amp. This helps with ground loops potentially.

The reason for the thicker cable and the better shielding is that nomally subwoofer cables are longer, so this allows the signal to pass with less degridation over distance. Longer cables also make longer antenna's, so again, the better shield will help ensure that you don't pick up any extra noise.

pjpoes said:
This is a DIY forum, most of the recomendations here are going to be about doing it yourself. From that standpoint, we would recomend you stay away from the many over priced products from major companies and roll your own. What tends to benefit a subwoofer best is a larger than normal diameter cable, good shielding, and I recomend a connection between the shield and the sub amps ground.

I can't agree with this any more. Premade(some, not all by any means) and cables that come from the big consumer names (i.e. Monster, or anything sold at Best Buy or Circuit City) tend to be a rip. Especially HDMI cables. As for your interconnects I think that if you make a set of your own you'll feel better since you know that you didn't get raped from one of the stores and you know you got exactly what you wanted.

I think you misread my post, that or I misunderstood yours. I was saying that premade cables are over priced, and that he should make his own.

Though I agree that cables are very overpriced, and that HDMI cables seem to be the worst, I don't see a way to get good HDMI cables by making your own, at the moment. However, online I have found numerous sources for great HDMI cables at lower prices which work as well if not better than what you get from the big guys. I have a 150 dollar HDMI cable from Monster Cable, another AR that cost around 120-which I purchased through a buyout for under 20 dollars each, and another made by a chinese company for me to my specifications at a price of around 15 dollars plus shipping. Far and away the one I speced out works the best, for very cheap. The same basic cable is available from a lot of places, including Blue Jeans Cables, and is highly recomended.

Serratoga said:
Hi everyone,

I just bought a MJ Acoustics Reference 200, and I am looking at buy some interconnects,
I would need a pair, because it will be comming out of my preamp ( L +R ).
Does anyone suggest some ? It is a two channel audio not home theatre. They have to be fairly good. I heard Analysis oval sub are good? Need some opinions please.

Thanks
I have a similar setup, with stereo subs in a good 2-channel system. I was using a pair of inexpensive Audio Research subwoofer cables, when I read this review at Audioholics and thought I'd try a pair. They were easily better than the AR's. http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/SonicWaveCable.php

Since then I've also bought a couple of pairs of analog interconnects and a Toslink, and they're all extremely well constructed and sound great.

PS The other wires in my system are Cardas Neutral Reference, so when I say the SonicWave cables are great, it's coming from a somewhat crazy audiophile.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.