Help me to make something out of a old sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've got a old Wharfedale Modus Sub Bass lying around. It’s a passive sub, so to make some use of it I bought a cheap kit amp to run it (http://www.velleman.be/ot/en/product/view/?id=360242), and installed it in the sub to make a diy active sub. You can see my effort here:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now here is the part I need help with. The sub is now playing, at least trying to play the whole audio band. So I need a low pass filter.
I stumbled across this

on this forum, and it seems exactly the thing I need.
Some questions about the filter. Do I put it before or after the pot in the sub? About wiring the 20k dual lin pot on the pic. I connect one channel of the pot to each of the positions indicated on the pic? And connect the ground of the pot to the ground point? What is the active component? Resistors will be metal-film 1/4w ones, and caps foil ones, is that fine?

Another question now. I’m not to happy with the sub now as it can’t go too low. Can something be done with making a new box, using these components I have? There are two 6 inch drivers in the sub working in push pull. The driver can be seen here:

and this is the only marking on them

Can someone work out what are these drivers? And how to better house them?

P.S. I’m trying to spend as little as possible on this project, as I’m not sure of the results.

Mr.Mekulic said:
Some questions about the filter. Do I put it before or after the pot in the sub? About wiring the 20k dual lin pot on the pic. I connect one channel of the pot to each of the positions indicated on the pic? And connect the ground of the pot to the ground point? What is the active component?

I think the presence of the op amp is what makes it an active filter, and I think active filters usually go between the source and the power amp.

Here is a link that might be helpful

http://members.hometown.aol.com/_ht_a/lmdmkm/mini-sub/mini-sub.htm

I used that very circuit (the one you showed) with an LM3886 amp that I built. It works suprisingly well. Use a resistive voltage divider to bring speaker level to line level and sum the two channels without loss of separation on the mains.

I admit, it's not as good as a good sub amp but, it did the job!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.