Primitive harmonic distortion test of Dayton DVC 8"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm seeking opinions on the results below. To my relatively untrained eyes this looks like 3rd order harmonic distortion 10 dB down from the fundamental frequency. And also 5th order 20 dB down, 7th order 30 dB down.

The first result shows the measured response playing a 50Hz sinewave, and the second is 100Hz. Obviously all I'm doing here is using TrueRTA. Is this a valid test?

I have to admit I have been using it for a few weeks in a temporary enclosure, and at usual low listening volumes this distortion is not obvious to me.

I suppose I can't complain about the performance of a US $23 driver, but I was expecting the distortion to be a little lower than this.

Andrew.

Attachments

• dayton 8 hd.jpg
    dayton 8 hd.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 191
What is the drive level?

-10dB is ~30% distortion

That is pretty high for 100Hz - you may want to make sure you are not overdriving your microphone or clipping the input signal from having the mic gain too loud. Experiment with mic gain settings, if turning down the gain gets you lower distortion you are overloading your inputs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.