Dayton Reference RSS315HO-4 in ported box-help tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys I modeled the RSS315HO-4 in a ported box and it looks good in a 2 cubic foot box tuned to around 22-24hz range. It gets peaky at the top of its band, but crossed over below 100hz gives a very flat looking response. Since I won't use it above 60-80hz, I think this is a good way to go. However, a port that allows me to tune 24hz is 3" by 27" which is a bit long, and puts the air velocity a bit high. Going with 4" puts me at almost 50" of length. One Idea I had was to mount the port outside the box, have it bend from the bottom back of the box out around the back over the top and port out towards the front like that. I think I saw a commercial company doing something like that, and then having a box for the flared portion to sit in, so it looks more normal, I think they called it a turbo port or something.

Anyway, any other options that allows me to keep a normal ported box. I know I could go with a passive radiator design, but would rather not as I have no experience in tuning one of those. Thanks.

Yeah sorry, I realized I never mentioned that was for two ports.

For a single port its much shorter, but the air velocity is high enough I think chuffing will be audible.

Also, I have to look, but I think I can't fit a 4" port on the box I built. I have to see, but I checked again with the 4" port, and it actually doesn't look bad, barely audible chuffing I believe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.