How to design an air coupler? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2007, 07:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to design an air coupler?

I was looking around in this forum and found this design of a JBL coupler and i was wondering if it was hard to design. Is the design very sensitive to the parameters of the woofer used? What kind of response am i looking at? Around half an octave above and below the tuning frequency? i may try this for a toy house sub...or maybe even for my car with an ascendant Audio assassin as I dont need it to play a big range of frequencies....here are the parameters.

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin8specs.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air_coupler_2245h_800x600.jpg (88.8 KB, 334 views)
Old 12th February 2007, 04:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It says it is an "organ pipe" driven by a speaker. i would think that is a bad thing since organ pipe will only play one note.

one frequency will be very loud. then a peak an octave above, 2 octaves etc. it would be quite horrible as a speaker.

i can imagine it would sound kind of like what you hear when you listen through a tube.
Old 12th February 2007, 06:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well if can play somewhere between 30-40 that would be great, its just for a toy box for a sub I have laying around. Would be fun to wow people with just one tiny speaker...
Old 13th February 2007, 04:11 PM   #4
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know what it takes to simulate that type.

William Cowan has plans and plots for three positive flare horn which may be more practical than working with JBL's transflex or scaling it - look for "Tapped Horns" (after Danley)

http://diy.cowanaudio.com/

Hide this!Advertise here!