How to design an air coupler?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking around in this forum and found this design of a JBL coupler and i was wondering if it was hard to design. Is the design very sensitive to the parameters of the woofer used? What kind of response am i looking at? Around half an octave above and below the tuning frequency? i may try this for a toy house sub...or maybe even for my car with an ascendant Audio assassin as I dont need it to play a big range of frequencies....here are the parameters.

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin8specs.html

Attachments

• air_coupler_2245h_800x600.jpg
    air_coupler_2245h_800x600.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 398
It says it is an "organ pipe" driven by a speaker. i would think that is a bad thing since organ pipe will only play one note.

one frequency will be very loud. then a peak an octave above, 2 octaves etc. it would be quite horrible as a speaker.

i can imagine it would sound kind of like what you hear when you listen through a tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.