Comments on woofer Design, Inside - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2007, 04:26 AM   #1
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Comments on woofer Design, Inside

This is the first time I am designing a woofer so I need comments from the more experienced designers out
there. Those who have direct experience in building woofer similar to this one are invited to comment.

the woofer is designed:

1. The woofers are connecting in parrallel, hence impedance equals 4ohms.
2. There woofers are passive, that is it is driven by an external amplifier which is driven by a
a low pass active x-over fed by a source(CD).
3. The total size of the enclosure(vented) is designed according to the Thiele and Small program, total size is for 2 speakers.

My queries are:

1. Refer to the diagrams, A the cabinet is considered as 1 enclosure separated by bracing with holes. B, is separated as 2 enclosures, the bracing is a solid timber(MDF or plywood). Which one is preferred? I prefer diagram A. Gives reasons please.

2. suggests any additional bracing if required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woofer.jpg (20.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 15th February 2007, 06:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default potential improvement

from my expirence with subwoofers you usually get a better responce curve if you put each in there own "box". and also i don't know if you are using any designing programs. if you aren't winISD is a great program for a beginner, it will tell you the appropiate port length and diameter for whatever you have set as the tuning frequency. also don't forget that the sub itsself occupies some volume in the box, which needs to be taken into consideration when building your box.

Hide this!Advertise here!