Subwoofer using B200's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a couple of Kef B200's, ex Monitor Audio MA5's, and was wondering if I could put them to use in a subwoofer. Please excuse my lack of knowledge if this is a stupid thing to ask, but is this realistic, and does anybodu have any experience of this, and could perhaps suggest suitable designs?

Thanks
Stuart

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi spikey,

Not much x-max on those Kef but good parameters otherwise.
There are several iterations of this woofer B-200-A,B,G etc, which is yours?

With several units in a large box total displacement can be good anyway.
How many units do you have? Can you tolerate a large box?

Hi,
input the driver data into a sealed box modelling program and look at what Q you end up with for different sized boxes.

For lowish bass you need a big box, roughly equal to Vas in volume. This will not go loud but it might sound nice if you can disguise it as a coffee table or TV stand.

You could try diysubwoofers.org and use their sealed box model. and read the two sets of design notes (general+sealed).

So.....

Well I've done the numbers, and it's clear that to get a decent response from these drivers in a sealed box the enclosure size could lead to domestic difficulties. Looks like I'll knock that idea on the head and have a rethink - still that's something I've learnt today.

Hi spikey,

Andrew T wrote:

For lowish bass you need a big box, roughly equal to Vas in volume.

Agree and suggest that if you include the effect of box enlargement from the stuffing, its possible to use about 15% less, e.g. if Qtc = 0.707 is the goal for B200 then the volume should be about 142.6 L - 15% = 121.2L + bracing volume = 124 L.

I dug up a TL I have made near a dozen of (1970-1980) since B200 could be purchased.

It may be used as a closed box or TL and if used as a sub lower than about 120 Hz, you can place the driver/port almost anywhere on the baffle.

b

1(2)

Attachments

• kef-b200_gentl-or-closed.gif
    kef-b200_gentl-or-closed.gif
    15.8 KB · Views: 541
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
spikey said:
[Well I've done the numbers, and it's clear that to get a decent response from these drivers in a sealed box the enclosure size could lead to domestic difficulties.

Yes, a decent sealed box for the B200 is BIG. Give nice response to the mid 40s + room lift thou.

When a sealed box is too big, time to start thinking aperiodic.

dave

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

If one closed box is sufficient and since you have 2 drivers there is also the possibility to mount drivers in isobaric configuration (face to face) and half box volume requirements.
But one box and low displacement capabilities will limit sound pressure.
I was hoping that you had one the lower Q variants, yours is box volume demanding as pointed out already.
If size is tolerably, bjorno's TL would probably give the best overall results for your driver.

FYI: added Acoustic dampening to the aperiodic and isobaric B200 box.

Acoustic Qm dampening applied close to the basket of a driver is the best of all methods to for lowering the Qt of a driver in a box.

All other methods suffer from more efficiency and bandwidth loss when comparing (Richard Small).

b

1(1)

Attachments

• kef-b200-iso-aper-qm.gif
    kef-b200-iso-aper-qm.gif
    86.9 KB · Views: 216
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.