Anyone looked at the JL Audio W7's for home subs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2010, 02:20 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

JL's Gotham sub has a 4500W amplifier. If you want to make those heavy cones dance, you're going to need some heavyweight amps. That said, TAS has liked every JL sub they've reviewed. But subs are about more than the driver involved -- they're about room integration and enclosure design.
Old 27th May 2010, 01:51 PM   #12
hispls is offline hispls  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterworks View Post
JL's Gotham sub has a 4500W amplifier. If you want to make those heavy cones dance, you're going to need some heavyweight amps. That said, TAS has liked every JL sub they've reviewed. But subs are about more than the driver involved -- they're about room integration and enclosure design.

For 12K retail..... and the review I found said "peak power of 3800W for short periods"

I guess I'm a little out of touch, but for God's sake, buy a 500$ sub, a 500$ processor/EQ, drop 1000$ into an amp, then remodel the room to take care of your real accoustic issues with the other 10 grand and you'll probably have better sound.
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I just finished building a 10W7 home theatre subwoofer and it turned out amazing. I made a mistake at first by putting it in a sealed enclosure... this may be fine for the larger 12" or 13" models, but the 10" had rather limited output. I then went the vented route... wow... what a difference... im not even pushing the driver to the limit and im getting ferocious ammounts of pressure... its deep, its low, its heavy, and it sounds fantastic. I would definitely reccomend this project for anyone considering it. Just remember to use winisd as a reference for your enclosure dimensions, and take your time. I got the subwoofer for $400 new in box, so depending on your choice of enclosure materials and amplifier etc. its easy to get this project done in the $1,000 range... and it beats the crap out of any $1,000 retail subwoofer i've ever heard.

Last edited by jimbob212005; 2nd March 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!