Modeling a variovent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wouldn't a variovent be modeled as a resistance?

(Without even mentioning damping factor.)

Ben

Hi Ben,

You're absolutely correct!

b :)

Attachments

• Leakage-Damped Closed Box_vs_ Aperiodically Damped.JPG
    Leakage-Damped Closed Box_vs_ Aperiodically Damped.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
They are bad enuff on mids & tweeters and on a woofer they need to deal with the resonant peak and are very large, very expensive (or electrolytic)

Even MKP (I have many Aerovox MKPs), when the size is big, I think the effect is worse than normal small MKP. I have also tried some very expensive electrolytics but after listening (and waiting for break-in) I decided to avoid this series cap approach.

You can avoid big enclosures, if you stuff your variovent appropiately.
No need to consider calculations except for tracking impedance.
Phase i less important because it dances, as it pleases.
It can be 720 degrees out and you wont notice until you are told.

I think a two-way is going to stretch the concept too far.
Then you will still need help, either in the middle or top.
Back to not understanding the idea.
Its a trial and error thing.

Snup
I don't understand the first 3 statements.

Regarding box type, I usually choose based on driver parameters and also my own requirement on size and the lowest frequency to cover. But for modeling only, of course I try all to see which one is the most suitable (And more often than not I build all types and compare)

When there's no issue with bass extension, I will usually prioritize sealed enclosure because I like the sound. Some times I need this (LR2 alignment) so I can easily add additional woofer to cover the lower bass.

Sometimes I have a need to make a smallish enclosure. That's why I tried the series capacitor loading. Stuffing the box is also helpful to achieve similar objective (but only marginally). I have also used Linkwitz Transform and similar circuits. And this "variovent" is a good idea. I have tried MANY ideas that can be considered a variovent, including the denim approach.

These days I prefer electronic approaches tho.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.