Mission 73AS sub upgrade (if possible) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Can you not get into a lab or quiet place with a computer for 30 minutes and measure the speaker yourself?
Old 26th February 2007, 05:33 AM   #12
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Seychelles
diyAudio Member

Sorry for delay, I have been occupied with my regular job and could not reply earlier. The problem is solved but on the easiest way. During last weekened, I was thinking, what is actually going with my sub. I clearly remember the day when I bought it two years ago in the room of the seller, the sound was so powerfull and deep. Demonstration was with two little satelite Canton speakers, and the combination works realy fine. Later, in my room similar dimensions, the sound was a bit weaker but acceptable. From the last year when I upgrade my main speaker to play several notes deeper, the sub became hardly noticable. Now, I realize that previously, sub was positioned in the corner and probably gain few dB from that. Later I moved the sub between the speakers, possibly in the weeker room spot and due to improved main speakers, it became the bass to sound so thin.

Again, I played test CD with signal freq. range from 10Hz to 300Hz, 1Hz increments, separately on my main speakers and through the sub. I found out that the frequencies from 30Hz to about 60Hz, played through my main speakers, btw known with their low 84 dB sensitivity, are in fact louder than the sub and that lead me that obviously something there was not right. I must say that my 25 years old intetgrated Luxman L-530, have on the back side pre-out and amp-in chinch connectors, normaly short connected, and only through that points was possible to attach the cables for sub line inputs. So, there were not dedicated sub output on my integrated amp.

Than, idea came on my mind, I disconected sub signal cable from the my integrated and plug it directly to the CD player and, WOW. What a bass, deep and loud beganing from early 20 Hz. It seems that Mission put some equalization circuit inside the amp and their claiming 27Hz at -3dB now realy sound reasonable.

After all, the problem was in signal non compatibility between my integrated amp output and Mission active sub input. The input signal was to week and not adequate to push the sub plate amp.

For now, between my integrated amp and sub I inserted my old cassete deck Aiwa ADF-660 with monitor control, which add additional amplifiction, i.e. stronger singal to the amp plate. So, there is no need for any modification of sub as I previously ment. The final solution could be making of dedicated small signal amp. I have old spare CD player and think that it is possible to use his power supply, some of signal amp board and make additional signal amplification.

Well guys, if you think that your powered subwoofer play week, first check if the input line level signal is adequate.

Richie00boy, thank's for your input very much as your persisting questions, push me to think thoroughly and finaly find a solution.
Old 26th February 2007, 08:01 PM   #13
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Glad it worked out in the end. Sounds as though your amp may have already performed some low-pass filtering which interfered with the sub.

Hide this!Advertise here!