Newb lookin for suggestions and help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off here is what my theater system will consist of:
1. Arcam AVR-250 reciever
2. a pair of NHT Classic 3 for fronts
3. A Klipsch RC-64 center channel (i know i know im going to sell it and change as it will not match with anything in the system and will stick out like a soar thumb)
4. NHT super zeros for rears
5. DIY sub project

Here is what i am planning for the sub, Any issues or suggestions you have i am more then open to them. This is for HT use only.

1. TC sounds TC-2000 15" sub, wired to get a resistance of ~3.5 ohms.

2. Powered by a EP-2500, so ~650 watts to it. maybe for the second channel i might hook up some sort of buttshaker or something. I want the extra power if i ever wanna upgrade anything in the future.

3a. 12cuft box made out of mdf with at least 2 supports in the middle. Ported to ~14hz.

3b. A single 6" port with flares on both ends. I am planning on having the external port come out the top of the box and then take a right angle and face the same direction as the sub. Any problems you can think of with this setup? is 1 6" port enough size to avoid port noise?

3c. the port will be ~27.16" long with 1 right angle, one once it has exited the box on the top and another somewhere inside as no single side will be larger then 27". I will do my best to support the port with the single internal brace but do you see any problems from this length?

4. To finish the box off i am thinking of doing a black laminate or something, i wanted to do a piano black but after reading how much work is needed im sort of turned off from it.

5. eventually i will get a BFD or something but i wanna get this all done before i start using $ to tweak it.

Thanks allot for you're opinions and suggestions they really are helpful as this is my first major project building something good.

Any ideas on where to get a 6" port right angle? I have found the port at thriller audio. either that or i will see if i can get some pvc to fit nicely and sosme how mold it together.

I really appreciate any comments or suggestions you have. Thanks!

In winisd i get a graph lookin like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For the construction portion of your questions, I would use yellow carpenters glue, shelf braces and corner blocking (cleats). Assemble it with brad nails from the inside so you have no exposed fasteners except on one panel.

I don't use many screws anymore. Pilot holes, pass holes and countersinking take too long IMO.

Another nice way is glue, clamps and biscuits. But you have to wait for it to dry between stages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.