Newb lookin for suggestions and help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2007, 06:37 AM   #1
ccdoggy is offline ccdoggy  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ccdoggy
Default Newb lookin for suggestions and help

First off here is what my theater system will consist of:
1. Arcam AVR-250 reciever
2. a pair of NHT Classic 3 for fronts
3. A Klipsch RC-64 center channel (i know i know im going to sell it and change as it will not match with anything in the system and will stick out like a soar thumb)
4. NHT super zeros for rears
5. DIY sub project

Here is what i am planning for the sub, Any issues or suggestions you have i am more then open to them. This is for HT use only.

1. TC sounds TC-2000 15" sub, wired to get a resistance of ~3.5 ohms.

2. Powered by a EP-2500, so ~650 watts to it. maybe for the second channel i might hook up some sort of buttshaker or something. I want the extra power if i ever wanna upgrade anything in the future.

3a. 12cuft box made out of mdf with at least 2 supports in the middle. Ported to ~14hz.

3b. A single 6" port with flares on both ends. I am planning on having the external port come out the top of the box and then take a right angle and face the same direction as the sub. Any problems you can think of with this setup? is 1 6" port enough size to avoid port noise?

3c. the port will be ~27.16" long with 1 right angle, one once it has exited the box on the top and another somewhere inside as no single side will be larger then 27". I will do my best to support the port with the single internal brace but do you see any problems from this length?

4. To finish the box off i am thinking of doing a black laminate or something, i wanted to do a piano black but after reading how much work is needed im sort of turned off from it.

5. eventually i will get a BFD or something but i wanna get this all done before i start using $ to tweak it.

Thanks allot for you're opinions and suggestions they really are helpful as this is my first major project building something good.

Any ideas on where to get a 6" port right angle? I have found the port at thriller audio. either that or i will see if i can get some pvc to fit nicely and sosme how mold it together.

I really appreciate any comments or suggestions you have. Thanks!

In winisd i get a graph lookin like this:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th February 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Do you realise how enormous 12 cu ft is? Maybe you Americans have more space than us but still...

Check the power handling and excusrion graphs as well for a better idea of what's attainable in real life. Finally check group delay to see if it's ok, ideally less than 10ms in the audio band IMO.
Old 5th February 2007, 08:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here are more graphs. Yes i know thats large, but as of right now its a dedicated movie room and i am definetly willing to have something large as long as it sounds good.

Old 5th February 2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Mmmm 23mm excursion and possibly the longest group delay I have ever seen! Albeit it at non-audio frequencies though.

You might want to check the Xmax on the drive unit. I also suspect the box is oversized and tuned a bit too low.
Old 5th February 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Xmax is 28mm on the TC 2000

This is for HT use only. I will have the NHT 3s which are good down to about 50hz. I will have the crossover on the reciever set for ~70-80hz for the sub.
Old 7th February 2007, 07:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I will take the silence as people not seeing anything very wrong with my design.

One quick question, when building the box our of 3/4"mdf should i use screws, glue, or both to construct it?

Thanks.
Old 7th February 2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

For the construction portion of your questions, I would use yellow carpenters glue, shelf braces and corner blocking (cleats). Assemble it with brad nails from the inside so you have no exposed fasteners except on one panel.

I don't use many screws anymore. Pilot holes, pass holes and countersinking take too long IMO.

Another nice way is glue, clamps and biscuits. But you have to wait for it to dry between stages.

Hide this!Advertise here!