Using Car Sub in Home Theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello

I have a car sub woofer w/ enclosure and amp that I do not use in my car. I would like to use it in my home. How can I do that?
my subwoofer is 4ohm and home theater receiver 8ohm with subwoofer preout.
thank you!

my receiver is a Kenwood vr-306 and sub JBL GT100 and car amp Kenwood KAC-716.

You can do this (I have done it in the past) but you will need to find a large (expensive) 12V power supply for the amp. Dont worry about the difference in ohms since you will be using the car amp to power the sub. Connect the car amp to the sub as normal then connect the preout from your receiver to your car amp. The only problem then becomes how to get a 12V power source.

I built a 12V 1000W PSU for this reason using some old transformers (from ebay), a couple of paralleled 15A 1000V diode bridges, and some capacitors to smooth it out, its not hard to do but is a bit dangerous because of the capacitors.

jprac88 said:
btw these are the specs of my car amp (kac-716):

Mono Power Amplifier
Max. power output (4Q) 240W x 1
RMS power (4Q): 120W x 1 (30-200Hz, 0.08% THD); 2Q load capability (0.8% THD): 160W x 1

120W / 12V = 10 amps requiered as a power supply? is that right?

That is the correct calculation but I would stay on the safe side and add 30-40% extra since your amp wont be 100% efficient, and also it is not good to push a power supply to its max...

120W * 1.4 = 168W
168W/12V = 14A

Really you should check ebay you can find a power supply for much cheaper there.

You may be able to get by with something like this (12A RMS, 14A surge) only $54 shipped on ebay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.