Tuba HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Viking.....

Very interesting. I'd love to hear from a few guys who had actually built one, and read their reviews.

I like that this enclosure is BIG and imposing..... but then its pretty square and "normal" looking from an external stand point. (I'm not much of a fan for "normal")

I hope to get the same kind of performance out of a big ol' 14 foot sono tube in a straight TL design, but for a fraction of the work / cost.... AND to end up with an item that makes people walk into my living room and say, "What the #$%@ is that crazy looking thing" !?!? ;-)

In any case, whether its folded, or a straight shot, I'm feeling pretty confident that TL's are the way to go....... unless you have a basement, attic, etc, and the money (which I personally do not) for a bunch of big drivers, for an IB setup.

Hey if you find any unbiased reviews of this folded TL design, please post them here.

Thank you,
Fish

yes, I'm resurrecting this

The (very enthusiastic) review I found online can be summed up here:

myn's Tuba HT Review (LLT vs THT) - Page 2 - AVS Forum

Basically, guy replaced a 18" in a 14 cf box with the Tuba HT. His reaction is summed up in the link above:

"The facts are my 14 cu foot LLT with a high performance 18" and 1000 watts can't do what my THT can do with a $150 15" Dayton DVC and 28 watts. Not only in output but distortion levels. I estimated I'd need at least 5 or 6 of my LLT's to come close to the performance of the THT. (Basically would need 84 cu feet of LLT) which would also require alot more amplification and a alot more room."

And here's his build thread.
BillFitzmaurice.net - View topic - myn's Tuba HT Build Thread

HOW EVER: I have not really found ANY other reviews...

cheers,
-tal

Built Simulated and Yep it kicks butt!

I still have a couple cut out in the shop kicking around because the client moved. But this is really a well designed horn subwoofer. More or less flat to 20hz. It not that big compared to what you would have to do to equal it with anything else in a conventional box.

If you can build it into a basement reno or such you can really hide it get good results.

Mark

All the time I have spent so far researching horn subs and the available space I have to put a pair of them the Bill Fitzmaurice subs are what I plan to build. In another week plan to attend an outdoor event with antique car and boat show the soundman I have talked to is going to bring a couple of different BFM subs one of them the Tuba.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.