Great reading.... The legend of El-Pipo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2007, 06:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Great reading.... The legend of El-Pipo

http://www.passdiy.com/speakers.htm

This whole "Transmission line speaker" concept seems incredibly simple in design {if you have time, read all the way to the end, to see the single driver set ups}, and really inexpensive to build (using sono-tube).......

.....However, after a few hours of research, I have not found any guidelines, based on driver specs, for diameter and length of the sono tube ???

Oh.... and why would you have to stand them vertically in the corners of your room ? I think they would look pretty cool strapped horizontally to the top left and right corners of a room :-) ....like big internal fuel tanks or something crazy. Hey, their are benefits to being single ;-)

Anybody here put a sub at one end of a big tube, and get jaw-dropping results ?

Your thoughts ?

Fish
Old 23rd January 2007, 02:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Come on guys.....

don't be scared ;-)

Here's some cool stuff on "Transmission line" sub theory: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/...asstheory.html
How could a bass lover read this, and not have his mind start spinning ?

If TL enclosures are vastly better than ported, band-pass, or sealed enclosures, why are so many people so reluctant to try one ?

As far as I'm concerned, the large, unusual shape, and the fact that hardly anyone is using them, makes them even more attractive to me !

Peace,
Fish
Old 23rd January 2007, 07:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Its just the size that gets to people i believe, Dont worry though, Im about to make some full range TLs and a matching TL sub (maybe two) in the next month if things go well....My thread is the Pioneer project in the full range forum
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Right on Fast 1 ! :-)

I have a lot of respect for people who aren't afraid to step out of the box.

BTW, right now I'm fixing to go discuss TL's with an old buddy who owns a stereo shop. I'm sure he has some 12" to 15"s laying around, and certainly a test amp...... So, I might just offer to buy the sono-tube and see if we can play with TL's a little bit. Then, if we hit on something big, I might just have to copy that setup for myself !

Will be following your progress Fast1.
Wishing you luck on your TL.

Peace,
Fish
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your from norcal? i was originally from Modesto lol....I now go to Cal Poly SLO full time though...I will update as soon as possible...it all kinda depends on if I sell some car audio equipment soon...
Old 24th January 2007, 12:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Hey Fast1....

Yea'... more specifically, the Fairfield area. I go through Modesto pretty much every year though, on my way to Yosemite.

Hey BTW, my old buddy at the stereo shop was out today, but I plan to go chat with him tomorrow. And you know, the more I think about it, even without any hard and fast numbers to go by, I can't imagine a speaker enclosure type that would allow for easier experimentation, than that of a TL.... Too low... cut some off. Too high... add some stuffing :-) Check with a meter after each change, until you get it dialed in just right.....

Anxious to play with these....

Peace,
Fish
Old 24th January 2007, 01:13 AM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've heard the real ones (NP's). They're excellent, enough so that I'm tempted to stick my JBLs (currently in 10cu ft sealed boxes) in a setup like that just to see how they do...
Old 24th January 2007, 03:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fish,

Here is a thread discussing the use of a double (tube-in-a-tube) sono tube design. It has some numbers, both conceptual and actual.
Old 24th January 2007, 05:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you roddyama....

pretty cool, although quite a bit more complicated than just a straight tube.

Again, I have to ask..... "Why do these enclosures have to stand vertically ? I mean sure, many of us have 8ft ceilings, but whats wrong with having one of these running 12ft or more, across the upper corner of ones living room.... like above the couch or something ??? I mean... Okay..... So it's big, and odd, and crazy..... Yea'.... That's why it's in Fish Chris' living room :-)

Another thought.... although sono-tube might be easier to work with, and cheaper too, if one were to go with PVC, you can actually get 90, and even 180 degree elbows in every size which PVC is made. I think it has already been proven that bends in a tube have very little effect on the sound pressure waves..... I think I want mine to start from the living room floor, rise to the ceiling, travel across one upper corner of the room, then turn and end up in the dining room ! :-) 24 feet ? No problem :-) LOL

......actually, I just brainstomed a way of putting 90's or 180's in sono tube as well......

Peace,
Fish
Old 24th January 2007, 05:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Hey SY....

I just have one dumb question.... What are "the real ones (NP's)" ???

Fish

Hide this!Advertise here!