Compact TL design thoughts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there!

I would like to make a better sub out of a 12" woofer currently in a crappy vented box. So, inspired by the nice compact TL subs in http://www.martinlogan.com/ speakers, I would like to try and make a compact TL cabinet for my 12" woofer. The driver is rather cheap with fs about 29 Hz and low Qts.

Right now I'm in the thinking process and evaluating options. I have studied the guidelines for TL designs and have decided to go for a 2.5 meter TL. But speaker design is all about compromises, and if I'm going to get that length in a "compact" box for a 12", I have to sacrifice the cross section area. I'm not sure how that will affect the performance. I have read that low Q drivers should be OK with a smaller volume, though.

I have attached a graph that shows roughly how the cross section area changes along the line in my current design proposal. So my question is, would it be a waste of time to create such a TL? As it is a folded design, the effective area will fluctuate a lot more than on the graph. The design is rather complicated with four 90 deg. folds and three 180 deg. folds.

I wonder if such a design would work??

Thanks
Lars

Attachments

• tl_area.png
    tl_area.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 108
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.