Mortified ProMedia sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, first post, I searched around a bit, but didn't find anything quite on point.

I have the ProMedia Ultra 5.1 sub box with woofers, no amp. I'd like to drive these with a Pyle Pro PT-2400 in mono mode, with signal coming from the sub out of my A/V rec. Usage will be HT/gaming almost exclusively. The gaping hole where the amp was will be covered with a nice plate of stainless.

The B outputs of the amp will eventually be used to drive some shakers attached to seating.

So, signal path is: A/V rec sub out > Pyle amp > sub

So, my questions are,

1. Is this feasible?

2. What would other options be, if the above is not a good idea?

Thank you for your thoughts.

The idea it's self is feasible yes, but that Pyle Pro amp your looking at is well to be honest bottom of the line and the 1200 watt output rating on it is most likely bridged @ 2 ohms maybe 4 but i doubt it. When the company doesn't directly state stuff like with the rating is (rms, max, ohm impedance etc) that means they are trying to hide something from you. but if you don't mind the amp at all then I would go for it but i doubt the drivers in the box will be able to handle (being optimistic) 1200 watts rms @ 2 ohms which would be more like 700 watts rms @ 4 ohms which is probably what the impedance drivers are when wired together. I'm guessing here b/c i dont have enough info to make a conclusive statement yet, if you know more on your amp and the subs specs please fill me in. BUt overall it is a very logical idea

Thanks for your reply LD, but I think a nice stainless plate with terminals in the middle will look pretty nice there. Or I might just use some 10 or 12 gauge CR steel and have it powder coated wrinkle black. Of course, I'll be the only one to see it, unless I haul it out to show someone.

I considered a plate amp, but the PT-2400 will also drive my shakers, when I get the HT set up. Killing two birds, that sort of thing.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of EQ would be present in the ProMedia Ultra system? And at the same time, please point me toward the area of the forum I could read up on trying to reproduce it.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, as well, punkrokr, I hope it's not quite that bad. The distortion spec is not the lowest I've ever seen, the S/N ratio is not too wonderful either, but I don't plan to be driving it that hard, nor do I plan to run it bridged, and it will only be reproducing a fraction of the audio spectrum, so I hope I can get by with it. Besides, it's cheap.

Basically, I'm building a movie/game room for the kids, so they won't be too picky if the Jurassic Park T-Rex's footfalls are a little mushy or what have you. The thump in the butt from the shakers should do just fine, and being attached to the couch will not exactly be conducive to accurate reproduction. ;) (What is the resonant frequency and frequency response of your standard sofa, anyway?)

The drivers are 6 ohms each, 175W in series, so I figured that I would run them as L/R individually off the A outputs, then run the bass shakers off of the B when I get to that point. So you can see I'll need to be a bit gentle with the levels, to avoid problems, even if the amp is overrated, as I also suspect it is.

Basically, it's about convenience. I really do appreciate the replies, just haven't heard a "better" idea yet. I was just hoping to avoid something that had a fatal flaw.

parts express shows the amp you mentioned as being rated at 80x2 into 8 ohms (probably optimistic) and a price of $148. Here is an alternative turned up by a quick search of ebay. parts express sells this amp for $129. It probably Is comparable in output as it is probably more realisticaly rated.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Gold-Au...5QQihZ001QQcategoryZ39783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Just a thought (hope my link works. I am sure there are other options as I only spent 5 minutes looking. but even at that price the pyle is prob a ripoff. I have worked on some boats that had some pyle stuff on them and at work refer to them as pyles of ****. just my .02 worth

JP, thank you for that reply, very helpful, and the amp you found is a smidge cheaper, but the specs are definitely better. (Refurb vs. new, but that really doesn't bother me a bit.)

I guess I'll do some more looking, I did search around some, but obviously not as effectively as you. Not in any great rush to buy, just casting around for parts for the HT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.