Subwoofer to go w/Horn Speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2007, 05:06 PM   #1
jcmjrt is offline jcmjrt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer to go w/Horn Speaker

I'm looking at designing a backloaded horn enclosure for a coaxial driver. As you may know, horns get very large as the desired cutoff bass frequency goes low so I'm thinking that I may want to cutoff the frequency in the 70 - 80 Hz range and put a subwoofer in the system to add in the low frequencies.

I'm concerned about how well I could match a subwoofer to a horn. I know that the subwoofer would need to be pretty fast and accurate to match up. Is the cutoff frequency range for the coaxial reasonable and then have a subwoofer go up to 70 or 80 Hz and reach down into the 20s or 30s? Is the frequency range low enough that I could use one subwoofer or would I need two? - I know that the higher the frequency the more directionalized the sound.

I'm hopping that you can point me in the right direction. What designs/type of designs should I be looking at?
Old 21st January 2007, 05:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Here is an interesting thread on this subject
Old 21st January 2007, 10:29 PM   #3
jcmjrt is offline jcmjrt  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree that it's an interesting thread but I'm trying to find something that will match a horn main (down to about 80/70 Hz) with a non-horn sub. Most of this thread is about horn subs. I think that horn subs provide the best sound but the size requirements even when one goes with a highly compromised 1/8 wavelength horn sub are really large and I was hoping to find something smaller.

I'm going to make horn mains and am wondering if I can match a non-horn sub to sound reasonable with it? And if so, how low do I need to take the mains so that I can use one sub and not have issues because it's directionalized?

What's the experience of people mating for example Fostex or Lowther backloaded horns with a non-horn subwoofer?

Hide this!Advertise here!