subwoofer <$100?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
hi gychang
any comercial subwoofer under $100 is frienkly not worth anything
most of those comercial 6" subwoofers have poorer bass than any well done good 2 way system and sound like fried dog poop
you will be much better off making a subwoofer
this is diy forum if you did not notice
any $100 comercial sub will most likely have $10 woofer in it at best
if you buy woofer for let say $50-$80, you can built quite decent subwoofer, much better sound quility than $100 comercial sub
good luck
ed

Sony Xplod 12" 5 sided poly car subwoofer works good. Clean sound with little distortion.

There is also a 10" version of the same woofer.

Costs just under $70 at Wal-Mart for the 12".

350W RMS, 1200W Max Rubber Surround, and the lead wires run under the spider.

I replaced my old blown 12" with the new Sony Xplod, and it sounded like I went to a much larger speaker, with the same 1.25 cu ft enclosure as my old speaker.

Also, my amp that pushes over 300W RMS does not push the woofer to the limit, even with the deepest bass notes while starting to clip. :eek:

The bass is solid, clear, and the low notes sound powerful and controlled. Even at low volumes, you can feel the bass.

Doing that kind of abuse to my old 12" woofer didn't let it last more than 15 mins before it blew LOL! :hot: The Sony however is a brute and takes everything I throw at it, and you can hear the music in the street!

Link for the 10" version: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4541644

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EWorkshop1708

that's a good idea, car woofer
I did not want to suggest car woofer, because gychang wanted home theatre subwoofer, but if you are on the budget, that will work fine
obviously you can select hundreds of woofers in that price range
parts express has lots to offer, many on sale

interestingly, that sony Xplod woofer...I have similar experience
I have once made a system for my friend for his lab, we share the company, but he is in differrent department, so I made a two satelite system with subwoofer, whatever speakers I had around, dont remember brand of woofer, powered by 2x60watt amp for satelites and plate amp for sub....he blew the woofer in about a week...he listens way too loud when he stays late at work
than I replaced the woofers with Xplod, picked it up on sale in BestBuy, I think $19, that think is undestractable!!

I will post a picture, dont remember weather it was 10" or 12"...

IMO a car sub, in the right box, makes a great HT speaker. As long as your subwoofer amp can drive a 4 ohm load or less, it's all good.

For HT, you want the frequencies under 40Hz to be nice and strong. Good Car subs have no problem doing this.

It's really nice to have a 20hz note shaking the room, while watching a movie! Also, for really bassy music at home, a car sub is awesome!

Before I got my Sony Xplod 12", I checked out the speakers on Parts Express. Lots of nice speakers, but the cheaper ones IMO were not what I was looking for. I wanted strong low frequency performance.

Also, I've broken the lead wires on subwoofers before from high excursion, and I wanted a subwoofer that had the wires run under the spider so they would not break!

I'm also planning on using a 10" Sony Xplod car sub for a small computer sound system. Car subs are cheap, and have lots of bass, and do good in smaller enclosures.

8" Dayton DVC subwoofer (SD-215, I think is the model number). Good for sealed or ported. Just use WinISD or something similar to calc out a box you can live with and use it with the 75 watt Dayton sub amp or whatever else you can find handy (think Apex Jr. has a decent cheap plate amp).

I know you're wanting to run this with one of your sets of BiBs you recently built. Maybe just run a line from each channel of your JVC amp to one of the coils on the Dayton with an inductor inline to low pass it . . . give you around 4 ohm load on the amp which should be just fine as I used my older crappier JVC Hybrid Feedback to run 4 ohm car speaks for a good long time with no ill effects.

Let us know what you come up with. Loved your woodwork on the BiBs.

Kensai

Kensai said:
8" Dayton DVC subwoofer (SD-215, I think is the model number). Good for sealed or ported. Just use WinISD or something similar to calc out a box you can live with and use it with the 75 watt Dayton sub amp or whatever else you can find handy (think Apex Jr. has a decent cheap plate amp).

Let us know what you come up with. Loved your woodwork on the BiBs.

Kensai

Thanks Kensai, I am getting into a deeper and deeper in this DIY thing...

gychang

Assuming you are DIYing, ....

If you are set at $100 for the whole sub, look at one of Bill FItzmaurice's tubas. I built an autotuba a few years ago ($30 for the driver, $20 for a sheet of cheap 1/2" "Home Despot" plywood :) ). You should be able to get a cheap 70-100 watt plate amp for about $50 if you look / wait. Add a couple of dollars for glue. Very good for the price and quite efficient. Doesn't go as low as my 17Hz shiva sonotube, but uses less space and has better punch

Are car subs really anygood for home use?? I think car subs are build more for quantity then quality. They play loud and low but dont sound very good. I guess for home theater that could be good, but im not so sure for music use?

I would say that the build quality of some are excelent, mass production and huge demand has brought the prices down, Lets face it that there are many more people and dollars in the diy car audio marketplace than the home market.

Finding out the specs can be impossible on many models. But to some degree a speaker is just a speaker and the box is what makes the difference. Marketing is just marketing. As for heavy cones, low resonance , large xmas and expressly designed for small boxes, there are some great drivers out there, as in the home market, quality should never be taken for granted!

Try and you may be very suprised, most sub amps are 4 ohm. Cars ironically enough, are too small to have a true deep bass note be created within them, thats why you hear it ouside the car (all the way up the street). Most people who buy car subs love them for the shake. If used at home and in a much bigger space I find that they can sound very natural.

I currently use a 12" car speaker in a 8' sonotube pipe TL design, which sounds great for music and shakes the house with a dvd. would be close to budget @ A$150 =us$120 including amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.