subwoofer <$100? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2007, 02:15 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default EHQS 12

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=183
for only $25 they're woth a try. hear good things about them too.
Old 27th January 2007, 05:04 PM   #12
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Assuming you are DIYing, ....

If you are set at $100 for the whole sub, look at one of Bill FItzmaurice's tubas. I built an autotuba a few years ago ($30 for the driver, $20 for a sheet of cheap 1/2" "Home Despot" plywood ). You should be able to get a cheap 70-100 watt plate amp for about $50 if you look / wait. Add a couple of dollars for glue. Very good for the price and quite efficient. Doesn't go as low as my 17Hz shiva sonotube, but uses less space and has better punch
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I used 2 8" dayton dvc subwoofers in a 2.5ft box. I got some decent outout at 20Hz,rumbling with test cd and stuff in the room set in motion
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Are car subs really anygood for home use?? I think car subs are build more for quantity then quality. They play loud and low but dont sound very good. I guess for home theater that could be good, but im not so sure for music use?
Old 2nd February 2007, 04:38 PM   #15
croat47 is offline croat47  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Or...not so DIY

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-631

There is also a 10" version for a little more than $100.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-633
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:50 PM   #16
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Or...not so DIY

Quote:
Originally posted by croat47
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-631

There is also a 10" version for a little more than $100.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-633

that's very helpful, I am gonna look at it carefully, thanks.

gychang
Old 3rd February 2007, 02:49 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are car subs really anygood for home use?? I think car subs are build more for quantity then quality. They play loud and low but dont sound very good. I guess for home theater that could be good, but im not so sure for music use?

I would say that the build quality of some are excelent, mass production and huge demand has brought the prices down, Lets face it that there are many more people and dollars in the diy car audio marketplace than the home market.

Finding out the specs can be impossible on many models. But to some degree a speaker is just a speaker and the box is what makes the difference. Marketing is just marketing. As for heavy cones, low resonance , large xmas and expressly designed for small boxes, there are some great drivers out there, as in the home market, quality should never be taken for granted!

Try and you may be very suprised, most sub amps are 4 ohm. Cars ironically enough, are too small to have a true deep bass note be created within them, thats why you hear it ouside the car (all the way up the street). Most people who buy car subs love them for the shake. If used at home and in a much bigger space I find that they can sound very natural.

I currently use a 12" car speaker in a 8' sonotube pipe TL design, which sounds great for music and shakes the house with a dvd. would be close to budget @ A$150 =us$120 including amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!