Flow Chart for Subwoofer Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2007, 04:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Flow Chart for Subwoofer Design

If you were to flow chart the process for designing a sub woofer, what would it look like?

I am guessing that the first place to start would be determining the parameters? Room Size? Type of use?Primarly music, primarily HT, 50/50 split Music/HT, etc)? What other type of parameters should one consider?

If there is another step before this, what is it? What would be the next series of steps?

Hopefully if we have enough feedback we can develop something that will be of aid to all newbie sub (or speaker) builders in this forum.

Look forward to hearing from everyone
Old 15th January 2007, 10:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Room size
spl required at seating
extension ( -3 point in room)
space available for subs
amp power available
budget (the bit where you find out the above is not possible for the money in your wallet )

Vented / sealed/ tl /horn etc is more personal taste, but may be important to hit your f-3 / spl targets within budget. (sealed systems ~generally~ need more drivers for spl, but give more output way down deep)

Also need to consider your room gain and if you want to build in any headroom into the system.

Thats kind of what my head thinks like.

Rob.
Old 17th January 2007, 01:04 PM   #3
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I go the other way.

"What kind of sub do I want?" (TL, Horn, Vented, PR, Sealed)

"How low and how much powerhandling and output do I need?"

"How big is this going to have to be?"

"Where do I get all the parts, and how much do they cost? Where can I get them more affordably? (shopping is important for drivers, lots of good drivers out there at reasonable prices, if you just look)"

"How am I going to shoehorn this into the room?!"
Old 17th January 2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I'd have to say Rob's way is the way I'd use, it's the only logical way IMO and IME.
Old 17th January 2007, 05:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think Rob is on the right track as well.

I guess what I am looking for is how do you make the leap from these parameters (room size, type of use, spl levels , extension, and vented/ sealed/etc. passive (available amp already?) or active) to determining the specifications from which you could choose a driver(s) that would meet your needs. And then look and see if your 'wants' fall within your budget or are you going to have to back off on what you would like in order to fit within your budget.

This is definately an iterative process where if the outcome is not reasonable (to much money, to many drivers, to large enclosure), one would have to go back and tweak the parameters until you could find a compromise between what one wants and what one can realistically have.
Old 17th January 2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I don't think that things have to come in a particular order. There has to be several iteration loops, including simulations and testing several alternatives of drivers and box types.
Old 17th January 2007, 08:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
I would go this way....

1.Determine size restrictions
2.Detemine budget
3.Decide Driver and enclosure type based on size restrictions and personal preference
4.Choose an appropriate amplifier

Instead of starting with ideal and working backwards to something you can actually achieve... I would start with what is achieveable and work towards making that more ideal...

Its easy to determine where you have space available for a subwoofer and how much of it you're willing to sacrifice... It's also easy to determine approximately how much you're willing to spend on a project... So with those things in mind you can look at specific enclosure types(based on your preference) and drivers that work well in them that fit your budget with room for the purchase of a amplifier which would work well with the driver...

Step 3 includes determining the tradeoff between cutoff and SPL goals

Step 3 in my process SHOULD also include the thought of what kind of amp you will be able to afford based on the cost of the driver and what it's power requirements and impedence are, plus what kind of functional features you'd like your amp to include(EQ etc...). I just wanted to keep things simple-like
Old 17th January 2007, 11:18 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
If you were to flow chart the process for designing a sub woofer, what would it look like?
I would use the flow chart published by WJJ Hoge in Audio magazine, an article entitled "Confessions of a Loudspeaker Designer." Some library work ought to turn it up. If I run across it, I'll scan the chart and post.
Old 18th January 2007, 02:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Sy, that would be most useful to put up and let everyone discuss it.

One other thing, what are the characteristics that one would want if the sub was being used for:

HT?
Music?
50% Music / 50% HT?

I know you want more thump for home theatre, but can you have good clean accurate bass as well or is there a trade off.
Old 18th January 2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

IMO the requirements for a music vs cinema sub are the same except that for cinema use it must be able to kick out a lot more SPL.

Hide this!Advertise here!