How narrow can I make my woofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2007, 12:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Default How narrow can I make my woofer

I'm going to build a couple of 15" woofers in a vented cabinet, and would like to know if you fellow diyers has any experience on how close I can place my woofers to the cabinet side walls

Due to several reasons, I would like to keep the front of the woofers as slim as possible. I have concidered placing the woofers on the side walls, however this is not practical due to other furnitures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wsd.jpg (5.9 KB, 157 views)
Old 13th January 2007, 08:57 PM   #2
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

It shouldn't make any difference as far as the cabinet is concerned.

What is of value is where you place the completed speaker in relation to your walls and room configuration that will make a difference.

How high off the ground you make the final cutout is something you will not be able to compensate for and can excite certain frequency's in the room. Somewhere I have calc's that show dim's off the ground to smooth and average it out.

When I can find it I'll send it to you or post it.

Definitive speaker's made a thin front profile tower design that had a 15" and maybe dual back to back (can't remember which) that had them on the sides and looked quite nice and thin from the front.

I was at CES last week and noticed their new speaker has dual 6x9's in front to keep it narrow.

Regards
David
Old 13th January 2007, 09:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks AVWERK
Old 13th January 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Does not matter so long as you can clear the cutout. IMO, the closer the better, because the side walls will brace the front baffle, and keep it from flexing.

Dan
Old 14th January 2007, 07:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks again

Hide this!Advertise here!