Linkwitz TXFM distorts(Pinging richie000boy)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have Rods Input mixer connected to a 24db lowpass xover and fed to the Linkwitz Transform. The mixer and crossover work fine, but when I pass the signal through the transform, the signal is somewhat distorted. The gain on the amplifier is cranked up,the Loudness circuit on and bass turned up( I know It shouldn't be) and it seems clearer. I had to use an NE5534AN instead of a TLO71, but pin out is identical. Oh and I can only drive the circuit with the headphone out on my PC speakers????

Any ideas, anybody, please.

Cheers mikee55:bawling:

Update: Just took signal straight of the back of a DVD player and its distortion is realy loud now. Seems like an Impedance issue?

Hi richie000boy

Just emailed you, Sir.

Attachments

• all of it.gif
    all of it.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 140
mikee55 said:

Oh and I can only drive the circuit with the headphone out on my PC speakers????
Update: Just took signal straight of the back of a DVD player and its distortion is realy loud now. Seems like an Impedance issue?

Not an impedance issue, but possibly a gain issue. If the DVD player is putting out a 1Vrms signal, that's 1.41Vpeak. It looks like you have a low-frequency gain of about 8.4 (76/9). That means the output of the LT could be as high 11.8V peak. I don't know how high the NE5534 or the TL072 can drive, but 12V seems to be pushing your luck, even on 15V rails, so you're getting clipping out of the LT stage. It's also possible you're clipping the input stage of the amp. Try making R10 in the mixer circuit 47K or even 22K to see if it fixes anything. That should cut the signal level by a factor of 2 or 4. And don't forget to turn down the loudness and bass controls on the amp.

--Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.