Feedback on low budget subwoofer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2007, 08:16 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joe carrow

Another thing to keep in mind is that most commercial subwoofers below $300 really aren't worth very much. Large boxes just aren't commercially feasible due to people's prejudices about audio components (our wives, specifically), and due to shipping costs. Small subwoofers can be made to work well, but they need a LOT of power and some expensive driver construction. Most people just don't have the kind of bass that DIYers are capable of achieving, and they don't know what they're missing.
I just want to reiterate Joe's statement. This is so true. I just built my first subwoofer after many years of building regular speaker systems.

I have heard a lot of in store subwoofer systems. Including Carver 1000 watt small cubes, Velodynes, etc.

This four cubic foot 1.5 inch thick double shelf braced cabinet that I made for a modestly priced Dayton 12 inch subwoofer driver just kills by a wide margin anything that I have heard in a store. And with the amp I'm only into the whole project about 250 USD.
Old 29th January 2007, 08:58 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to noodle_snacks
Just an update for anyone thats interested (a moderator should probably move this thread to subwoofers heh). The peerless CSX woofer was no longer availible, and a 12in SLS replacement was only marginally more expensive. (the old polyprop 12in availible didn't have so much copper in the moter i believe). So we went for the 12in driver. Differing parameters and enclosure size restraints mean that this one will be going sealed, 100 litres or so heavily stuffed, hopefully to get a Q of around 0.707. F3 should be about 40hz.
Old 29th January 2007, 04:46 PM   #13
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Hi noodle_snacks,

Try the SLS 12 in the same box as you modeled before, 100l 23Hz.
Not to bad, good power capability down low. Damped tuning.

Easy to block port if one want's to go closed box.
Old 29th January 2007, 05:53 PM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hezz
I have heard a lot of in store subwoofer systems. ... just kills by a wide margin anything that I have heard in a store.
Herein lies one of the biggest problems in buying any part of the speaker system. You have to buy it from a store and don't hear it in your environment.

It's not fair to compare the two. How you implement the system into your environment is a huge factor. IMHO, second only to the speaker(s) itself.

Hide this!Advertise here!