Best bang-for-the-buck Passive Radiators?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know of about four online sources for purchasing passive radiators, and I haven't found any that had me jumping to buy... either the price was right but the capabilities weren't, or the capabilities were potentially there, but they were $200.

I'm looking to buy two 12" or 15" passive radiators, to do some experimentation with - a proof of concept for a strange design, to extend some experimentation I've done with vented verisons...

What I believe I need are some pretty high-mass (or capable of being) PR's with potentially high excursion capabilities.
Of course, these are more for proof-of-concept and experimentation than anything, so spending $400 on a pair is just not practical either. (WAF factor is an issue, from a budget standpoint :D)

I couldn't find anything much here, searching for "where to buy" "passive radiator" "passive radiators" "buy a passive radiator" etc. on here, so possibly the whole "where to buy" question isn't raised much on DIY Audio? :confused:

I'm sure there are a ton of people on DIY Audio who have great suggestions, thank you in advance for sharing any that you have! :cool:

G'day geolemon

Since you would be happy with a 12" passive, you should have a close look at the Peerless XLS passive radiator. These are very well built and have good excursion for a 12". There is an M5 threaded hole that can be used to hold mudguard washers for added mass.

Stay away from the passives at http://www.aespeakers.com/ I ordered (and paid for) a pair that I was told were in stock on 07 September, 2005 and have seen nothing since. There were plenty of emailed promises, but they weren't worth the paper they were written on. John Janowitz has the worst customer support in DIY audio, don't blow your money like I did.

Cheers

William Cowan

I got a pair of 18" passives off of www.Acoustic-visions.com for my tumult and they were somewhat reasonable at $125 apeice IIRC(~3" p-p excursion on an 18", the only thing I didnt like is the mounting holes in the frame are huge).... They sell some smaller ones for less at that website. Parts-express.com surely has a few passives as well and MCMinone.com probably does also(although MCM isnt the easiest site to navigate...

Thanks for the replies so far...

The Peerless ones are almost like "the" PR's it seems, for a ton of DIY projects I've found. I believe they are pricey though. I forgot the price, I think I saw them up at Madisound.

The two models that they have at Parts Express seem pretty unimpressive, they were one of the first places I looked. The cheap one has particularly wimpy specs.

I'm going to check out Acoustic Visions... if the 18" can keep up with a Tumult, THOSE excursion specs seem impressive. :cool:

BTW, I also have a second project that I've been thinking of... for a very thin enclosure, only 6.5" deep. Anyone ever seen 6x9 size PR's? :confused: I'm not really terribly concerned about this one though... mainly looking for 12" PR's.

Thanks again, hopefully others have ideas too?
Someone linked me to some site a while back, nice, high excursion, cast basket 12" PR that was like $50... manufacturer also built a pretty impressive looking sub for just $99.... and god help me if I can remember who that was... :bawling:
I never got to look at their specs.

Madisound is the only place I've ever seen smaller passive radiators for sale. I just did a quick search (so some drivers are also included on the page: link), but they have passives ranging from 3.5" to 12" so you might be able to use a 6.5" passive or two for the other small project you're looking at.

Sorry, can't help you with the big passives though.

Hey, let's turn this into a CAF reunion thread :) (ow.di.0.file2 from CAF)

I picked up an Adire Audio PR15 B stock for $45 a while ago, it has worked great. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no way to screw washers or bolts to in to easily increase mass, you have to use modeling clay. specs:

Parameter Measurement
Nominal Size 15"
External diameter 15.25"
Cutout diameter 14"
Sd 824 cm^2
Moving Mass 285 grams
(max: 1500 grams)
Fp 8.2 Hz
Qms 5.39
Vap 1187 liters
Cms 1.25 mm/N
Rms 2.87 kg/s
Xmax 31mm one way
Vd 5.1 liters (total)
PRICE $90.00

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/passive_radiators/adire_pr15/

OT: did you ever complete that monster servo sub you were building?

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.