Compact 15" sub - BMS or Precision Devices?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to build a small 15" subwoofer. The sub will be sealed with ~40 litre internal volume (Qtc=0,577). Any comments on this?

I can't deside which driver I should choose. The two best candidates are:
BMS 15N840v2 (~300€)
http://www.bmspro.info/photos/bmspro_info/15N840v%B2.pdf

Precision Devices PD1550 (~200€)
http://www.precisiondevices.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=14

The reason why I like these drivers is
high Bl
low Mms
reasonable Xmax
low Le (PD1550?)
power rating
availability

Both drivers seem very good for the application but I haven't found any comments on these drivers on the internet.

Le of the BMS driver is exceptionally low which is good. Unfortunately PD doens't give Le value for PD1550. How important low Le value is for subwoofer ?

Any comments are more than wellcome :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I will be using the subwoofer for movies and music. I have DCX2496 for equalization and XO and Tapco J1400 PA-amplifier (2*310 w/8ohm).

Pinkmouse,

I guess you misread something.

PD1550: Fs=31 Hz
BMS 15N840v2 Fs=35.6 Hz

They both fit nicely to a ~40.5 L box (Qtc=0.577)

Since it is only the 15" driver that makes the sound there is no difference in output level/excursion. Actually they both give the same output in similar boxes so there is no difference in the need of equalization or excursion.

There is a slight difference between the drivers if put to a vented enclosure.

I have some BMS compression drivers, they are nicely made and sound fantastic. I have a PD2150 sub and its well made and should (when I get it in a proper box) sound fantastic. I have no experience with either specific product but I have experience with both companies' products and they are well made good quality stuff. I doubt either will dissapoint you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.