Fixing my chattery sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fixing my chattery sub

Hi all,

I have had a subwoofer for a little while and I have noticed that when I flick the metal stuff on the outside (don't know the name ) it chatters. I've never actually heard it in use, but it is way too easy to make it chatter just by handling it. The chatter source is between the magnet end the metal stuff where moisture or something has caused them to pry apart. I thought about filling this with rubber cement, but I wasn't quite sure. I suppose Kalking glue would work as well, but I want an opinion.

Thanks in advance,
- keantoken
Old 4th January 2007, 01:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to NVMDSTEvil
A little more verbosity on what exactly the metal stuff is and its location would be nice.

I'm going to assume you mean the dustcap, though?
Old 4th January 2007, 06:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, stevil

Please pardon my amateurish vocabulary on the workings of speakers.
That "metal stuff" I believe is the housing, but I am not sure. In that case, it is the metal thing that connects to that foam ring that is connected to the cone on the front. The magnet has two metal discs on either side, one of these discs connecting to the metal thing, and that connection is the problem. It is loose somehow on one side, and it makes this metallic twang whenever I flick the thing.

I hope this is good enough,
- keantoken
Old 4th January 2007, 06:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to NVMDSTEvil
Is the driver loaded so the magnet is outside of the box? If such then the metal is the "basket" which is the actual structural part of the driver to hold everything together.

The magnet is bolted to it, the spider (wavy thing near the magnet) is glued/bolted to it, the cone (part which puses on the air) resides within it and the surround (part which holds the cone to the basket) is at the top-most edge and can be appear the same as the spider (but vastly larger) or as a rubber 1/2 tube and runs the entire circumference of the cone.

The dustcap is in the center and keeps stuff from entering into the center of the magnet through the cone.

As per your post I will then assume the basket to be what is making the "twang." Depending on if the area you mean us the outermost ring which the screws/bolts (mounting ring specifically) to hold the driver to the box are located or the straight bars which run from there to the magnet it could be as simple as a loose bolt/screw. The large flat bars which make up the basket may have excess pressure on one or another and none on one if a screw/bolt is loose or tight causing a twisting force on the basket. This isnt necessarily bad but it may be a good idea to check them.

This is a crappy speaker picture, but most are built the same. Just a few different dimensions

Here, this may help some.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker4.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!