Subwoofer in-room response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking at a subwoofer design using two 12" Titanic MKIII drivers (wired in series) and the Dayton 1000W amplifier. The objective is to get the best performance (good sound quality and high SPL) possible form a small enclosure. I can place these drivers in a 1.7cf enclosure with a Q of about 1 and f3 of about 37. This subwoofer will be used in a room 19ft by 14ft with 9ft ceiling. One of the 19ft walls is only half enclosed with the other half opening to the rest of the house. The subwoofer will be located near a wall, most likely near a corner.

I have considered using a Linkwitz transform circuit to achieve a lower f3. I wonder if I really need to do this (and put the drivers though the added abuse), or if the driver will provide good response down to 20Hz with room loading.

I have also been encouraged to explore vented designs. My compact enclosure requirement seems to make this approach less practical. I also have concerns with the group delay of the vented design at low frequencies.

I have been encouraged to explore the RS drivers. The excursion limits keep driving me back to the Titanic drivers.

Getting to the point, I am wondering if I need to be concerned about the 37Hz f3. Most commercial subwoofers publish specs closer to 20Hz. It is questionable in most cases if these specs are anechoic or room loaded. It is also questionable how they achieve low frequency extension. What type of musical and HT performance should I expect from the proposed design?

A linkwitz transform just might be your friend in this situation... A Q of 1 is pretty high by most standards as far as I'm aware, so lowering that down to .7 or so electronically may yeild desireable reults...

I would aim for a F3 of 30hz myself using a sealed box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.