2 Subs 1 Plate Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I just got this amp:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-804

and this sub:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-490&CFID=7560638&CFTOKEN=81303062

I have a pair of Zaph's B3S speakers and want to integrate them with this sub. I was thinking that to avoid localization I could use two subs.

So the question is, could I buy another one of the Dayton drivers and enclose it in a seperate box but power both subs with my single plate amp.

If it is possible, what is the best way to wire it?

Thanks for the advice.

~Nathaniel

Please pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain what the above post means. I understand how to wire light bulbs in series vs. parallel because I did it in high school but I'm not sure how to do it with the DVC.

Edit - Should it look like the attached picture but with two drivers?

Thanks

Attachments

• spk3dvcp.gif
    spk3dvcp.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 273
the picture you posted describes what owdi wrote. I wouldn't do that this way because all parameters for speaker are measured with voice coils(on one driver-mean speaker) wired parallel. I advice you to do it as well. This means that every speaker will have 4ohm impedance(because each voice coil has 8ohm impedance). Than you wire those two in series.

if you still don't understand: imagine one driver(speaker) as two rezistors(each has 8ohm resitance). in your case you have two drivers so you have 4 rezistors(each 8ohm). So wire two and two in parallel(those on one driver). now you have two (imaginary) resistors. now wire them series. thats all, hope you got it :)

Hi,
the dual Voice Coil drivers work just as well when the VCs are in series as when they are in parallel.

The difference is whether the amplifier can drive them properly.

All solid state amplifiers work better into the higher impedance load.

If you wire the VCs in parallel, the dual 8 ohm becomes 4ohm and two of these in parallel gives a 2ohm load on the amp. Not many amps are any good into a low load like this.

If you wire the coils in series and then the drivers in parallel you end up with an 8ohm load.
or
wire the VCs in parallel and the drivers in series and again you end up with an 8ohm load.

Both these wiring alternatives will work equally well when the drivers and speakers are identical, but I prefer the parallel speakers option so that each driver sees the low impedance drive from the amplifier. So series the VCs and parallel the drivers.

Best option:- buy a second amp and use a dedicated amp to each driver. Or even better 4 amps, each dedicated to an 8ohm voice coil.

Your idea is fine. I suggested series voice coils and parallel speakers because it will be easier when the speakers are far apart. If you wire the VCs in parallel and speakers in series, you have to run a wire from one speaker to the other.

Dan

Joined 2004
Paid Member
variable phase adjustment?

Not to add to your buyer's remorse, but why didn't you choose this plate amp instead?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-796
Same price, same power, better S/N, and most importantly, variable phase control. This adjustment, although not perfect, can make an audible difference for fine-tuning and matching the sub with the satellites. A simple 0-180 phase reversal switch just isn't enough any more.

I guess the real answer is that I didn't ask here first ;)

I just wanted something quick and dirty to go with the B3S speakers. Within a year I will change this system into 5.1 for HT duty and start to build a better music system (thinking about Zaph's BAMTMs )

I am quite new to this whole DIY thing and this setup is more of a learning experience than anything :)

~Nathaniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.