Best 10 inch sub for $100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm currently working on making a full range speaker set using a Diapolito set up followed by a 10" sub for bass. I already have the cabinets made and the finished, now I'm just waiting to order the parts and drivers. The internal dimensions of the section where the sub woofer will go is 11 1/4"x 18 1/2"x 7 1/4" or approximately .85 ft^3, anyways I need sub that will fill out the subsonic frequency as best as a 10" can for around $100 + or - $20 or so. I was scanning Parts Express and the best I could find for my situation is between Dayton Quarto Series 10" and the Dayton High Fidelity 10" . The High Fidelity Dayton runs at twice as much as the Quattro Series and therefore you'd think it'd be a little more impressive until I scanned the spec sheets and saw that the High Fidelity rolls off very rapidly @ 70 Hz and its only has a 65 db reading @ 20 Hz which will NOT cut it for anyone i know especially me. Yet the cheaper version holds out rather strong throught its graphg and is rated 78db @ 20 Hz. I'm still skeptical about this cause i know there's no way the company can afford to be making drivers that are seemingly worthless. What do you think i should go with ? Or if You have any other suggestions for drivers let me know but keep in mind it has to be 10" around $1000 and I'm not really looking to invest $700 in amplification cause I've already picked out the BASH 300 watt plate amp that will conventially fit on the back of the cabinet and it's only $100.

Reproducing 20Hz convincingly, at reference levels, means moving a lot of air. More air than a single 10" is going to do. I've heard 10's with excellent extension down low, but you can't expect miracles.

http://www.ficaraudio.com

I think these guys are worth a look. I've heard both the Fi X10 and the Dayton HF 10", and while the Dayton is a competent driver I'd prefer the Fi.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You have to learn to manipulate when modelling

The HighFidelity 10" in 80 liter, I get down to 30hz/-6db closed, which is respectable

Also you have to consider that many subs are intended to be used with EQ

In BR 140 liter it makes 25hz/-3db, pretty nice

The cheap quatro is far from that

A low efficient driver with low Fs will allways go deeper, but ofcourse at lower SPL

I WOULD SAY THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR MODELLING

Be careful about comparing efficiency at 20hz when you care about volume. The only thing that matters for volume is how much air the diaphram can displace.

The quatro has an xmax of 8mm, vs. 14mm for the Reference. Since the Reference can sweep almost twice as much volume, it has the potential to be 3db louder. It will take more power, but you've got plenty.

Absolute displacement is only part of the story. IMO, what really matters is harmonic distortion. At 20hz, close to full excursion, you will hear more 40hz and 60hz than 20hz. Read up on it.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.