DVC subwoofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can drive one coil. Power handling (thermal) will suffer, it will NOT be cut in half though as some may try and tell you. You will have a change in the drivers electrical Q also, but you can use/exploit this by either shorting or putting a variable resistance on the un-driven coil. You could have a driver with a variable Q.

Or just run the coils in series and see how you like it....

I wouldn't do that. You give up half of the BL that way. The only situation I can think of where that would be a good idea is perhaps with dipole use where the higher Qts would be desirable, and where little power handling is required.

Instead, I suggest either accept the limited power, or use a different amp, such as a 2 channel power amp that can be bridged into an 8 ohm load. The behringer A500 will put out 500w bridged mono into 8 ohms, more than you need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.