Aura NRT18-8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I w as wondering if anyone had any experience with the Aura NRT18-8. I just ordered 4 of them to go into a pair of 20ft3 cabinets with 25 Hz tuning and a pair QSC PLX2502 power amplifiers to drive them with. They will be for a medium sized movie theater. I already had the boxes constructed before I ordered the drivers, they were originally intened for another type of driver but that deal fell through. Any reviews/experience with these subs would helpfull, I am just curious as to hear what others have experienced.

Thanks!

-Mike

I though it was the ones bass pig used they look similar but way different.
I have had no experience with them but I’d like to know how it all turns out.

Just a quick question how are the qsc amps do they deliver the watts specified? Will any of them pound an 18” solo x or a 15” thunder 9500?
Thanks for the info

I haven't tested any of the new PLX amps, this is the first set I have purchased, but the older set (I had a pair of the 3.4KW PLX ones, can't remember the model number) they met thier power specs when I measured them into a dummy load, my test equipment I was using consisted of a o-scope, so visible clipping was all I could look for as far as distortion, and a Fluke 87 to measure the RMS voltage into the load. Problem is, they were actually putting out like 1700 watts per channel into 2 ohms, but with both channels driven my clamp meter was saying something like 40+ amps of current draw on a 120V line. I have 40 amp circuits for my HT where I had it plugged in, most people do not, and I have doubts that the amp would meet it's specified power into an average 15 or 20 amp household 120V circuit..... Overseas even with the 13 amp 230V circuits, I think you would be pushing it....

But, solid amps.

Here is a link to the subwoofer build-up-

http://www.forceaudio.com/showthread.php?t=201

The drivers were originally intended to be a Tumult variant by Adire Audio, but they defaulted on the contract, so I went with Aura instead. I had also looked at McCauley 6174s, but they couldn't supply 4 of them in the time I needed.

those subs are the $hit. good excursion, good efficiency, good sound quality. i have had the chance to listen to one, and they are amazing. If i had the money they would def. be a top contender for my HT. those QSC amps should work just fine, i use a plx3502 to power an 18 inch RE audio MT...

During the late 90s, I had a professional relationship with Aurasound before the buyout by Algo. I have been to the factory several times when the original Aura 1808 were being built. It was possible to replace four JBL 2245 with only one 1808 on tour with several major rock bands - and still have louder and deeper and lower distortion output. The failure rate was also a small fraction of that of the JBLs. When they finally did fail, it was by cone creasing (at the surround cone junction) at extremely high outputs. (These used paper cones. I also know how the glassfibre epoxy reinforcement of the cone came to be the solution.) The new improved version got the new name after the Algo buyout - NRT18-8 - to highlight the NRT motor system (an Aura Patent.)
With 4 of these drivers, you could have the equivalent subwoofer output of 2 Full-size IMAX theatres or 2 Wilson Audio XS subwoofers! Make sure that your boxes are strong!

Look here for a PDF of the spec sheet. These really are quite excellent. http://www.aurasound.com/

95Honda said:
I wan't doing this for Kudos, just feedback about the drivers, thanks!

Oh please, you know darned well no diyers do anything without showing it off in the back of their minds!

Just kidding :)

I'd like to see them, but don't care for registering to every forum on the web, I get lots of spam from such registrations. Please post publicly viewable pics!

I had two 1808 originals back in 99. With approx 1100rms each and a very large box "been a long time, forget the specs" tuned to 30hz.. on a test disk playing a 30hz tone, the pair cracked the drywall at my store in the room I was cranking in, cracked the stucco around the door frame and caused 2 of the overhead florecent lights to pull through the drywall *LOL* man the good old days :) I still have one sitting in my garage. Just need to pony up for a new basket assembly as I cracked the cone on this unit years ago. Sure wish i could find a sister to this baby.

Man, I'll tell you what, I finished the theater yesterday (I'll post pictures soon) and Oh My God, these things are completely out of hand! I wasn't sure that they would be enough in the large theater they are in, but I'm not kidding when I say plenty of unlimited low end bass extension. I haven't heard a movie theater that has the bottom end that this one has. Funny thing is, when they are sailing along at decent, room shaking levels, the -10db light on the amps barely flickers, haven't even come close to clipping at deafening levels, they are great.

A few pictures of the completed install....

Attachments

• lcr.jpg
    lcr.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 446
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.