Folded Horn for a MA DMX15. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2006, 01:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Folded Horn for a MA DMX15.

I've got a Massive Audio DMX15 in a sealed box.It is powered by a JBL BPX2200.1 amplifier.I would like to build a folded horn for this subwoofer.But I can't find a plan for a single sub design.
Old 26th November 2006, 02:40 AM   #2
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
And you likely won't. Horns are very difficult to design, and even harder to design well. What's more, horns for low frequency tend to be extremely large. Instead, I'd look into a Transmission Line configuration, or perhaps a "Daline".
Old 26th November 2006, 03:17 AM   #3
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

I second the TL option, with the modeling software done by Martin King they are almost trivial to design and build in comparason with a horn that would have the same extension.

One important question, what are your goals for this?
Old 26th November 2006, 08:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

My goal at this point is to create a box that will pound your guts out.And,still be versatile enough to go in a daily driver.I have this subwoofer in a sealed box.Not a good choice of enclosures for this type of subwoofer.I do realise that going with a folded horn design makes things more difficult.But,I think the end justifies the means.
Old 26th November 2006, 10:43 AM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Go and search Tom Danley.
He designed the LabHorn.
It goes really loud and is suitable for stadium use.
The open air needs 12 boxes.
Floor loading needs 6 boxes.
Floor and wall loading needs 3 boxes.
Corner loading needs just 1.5 boxes, but this can be achieved by one box and a mouth extender (really rigid and tightly sealed) pointing into the corner.
An alternative is a pair of Labhorns stacked one above the other pointing into the corner.

When correctly loaded the Labhorn extends down to about 27Hz and is absolutely unbeatable for loud music.

Each labhorn is about 600L and uses two 300W 12inch drivers designed especially for this box. Use upto 1kW as an amp filtered steep (4pole) from 18Hz to 80Hz.

This should give you ideas for designing your own box to mimic the extensive tech data in Tom's paper.
Old 26th November 2006, 03:58 PM   #6
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default small cornerhorn

Hallo
a bass horn for a 15" a horn must be very large,
do you look:

http://www.speakerplans.com/

a very small horn sub for the Peerless HDS 205 Nomex
would be small and in living rooms with ~40 qm enough.

http://www.hm-moreart.de/99.htm

free download.
Old 26th November 2006, 05:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If it's for your car then a vented box or bandpass will give you more output in a box that will fit. I doubt a labhorn would fit in your car.

Bill Fitzmaurice did an 'auto tuba' which is a small horn for cars. Thats the only one I know of.

Cheers,

Rob.

edit: also take a look at the decware wicked one.
Old 2nd December 2006, 06:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Astaroth
My goal at this point is to create a box that will pound your guts out.And,still be versatile enough to go in a daily driver.I have this subwoofer in a sealed box.Not a good choice of enclosures for this type of subwoofer.I do realise that going with a folded horn design makes things more difficult.But,I think the end justifies the means.
Have you seen the horn sub I published?

http://www.carsound.com/forum/showth...2&goto=newpost

I have this running in my car as we speak. It has amazing clarity, real weight, and serious "impact." I've been building horns for over ten years, and I'm willing to bet I'm one of a handful of people with a horn sub in their car today. A lot of people TALK about it sure, but no one actually DOES it.

I agree that Danley is the sh1t, and that's why I have Unity horns in my dash.

Fitzmaurice has some great designs too.

:: PB ::
Old 2nd December 2006, 07:20 AM   #9
mike.e is offline mike.e  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike.e Send a message via MSN to mike.e
If you really must build a basshorn,youl probably have to get some one to custom design it - or sell the driver you have,and build an existing design. Like the 1850 from speakerplans.

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Bateman

Have you seen the horn sub I published?

http://www.carsound.com/forum/showth...2&goto=newpost

I have this running in my car as we speak. It has amazing clarity, real weight, and serious "impact." I've been building horns for over ten years, and I'm willing to bet I'm one of a handful of people with a horn sub in their car today. A lot of people TALK about it sure, but no one actually DOES it.

I agree that Danley is the sh1t, and that's why I have Unity horns in my dash.

Fitzmaurice has some great designs too.

:: PB ::
Patrick - It looks like a TL -
I did use a $10 8" on a 50hz corner horn in my hatchback.same woofer on 50hz ported box (~2.5cu ft) was 10dB quieter with same amplifier.
When I butted the mouth up to the back window I did get a few dB more output,there was a massive null in the middle of the car when I turned the horn around to face the front. Interesting stuff. Definately loud enough for me.Maxed out my RS SPL meter with ~14w amplifier.

Ive got a few pics someplace.

Old 2nd December 2006, 07:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike.e
If you really must build a basshorn,youl probably have to get some one to custom design it - or sell the driver you have,and build an existing design. Like the 1850 from speakerplans.

Patrick - It looks like a TL -

Rear chamber is sealed. It's a front-loaded horn. As the dimensions of a front-loaded horn get smaller and smaller, they behave like single-reflex bandpass boxes. In fact you can model single-reflex bandpass with Martin King's FLH worksheets. They're just two points on a spectrum of resonant pipes.

Hide this!Advertise here!