Sub for a church - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sub for a church

estimating 20-30,000 sf, 30 ft cieling. Concrete stage

I would like to do something that will have good volume for bass strings and the occasional video track with LF. I have access to an HE-15. That is what I will probably use

Which alignment would be good for this venue?
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:00 PM   #2
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
I hate to break it to you, but for this application you need some real low-bass muscle in this venue, though not necessarily "sub-bass" as you think of it for home theater applications. It wouldn't be a good idea to use the HE15, because even though it's a beast of a subwoofer, it's very inefficient. You don't need to get very low, only flat to about 40-50 Hz. Pro sound 18" woofers are what you need here. Perhaps what's needed is a pair of Eminence Omega Pro 18" woofers, one in each box, one on each side of the stage. Do yourself and your church a favor and don't settle for a half-baked solution. A pair of Community TD215S dual-15" subwoofers would be an example of a good option for filling the space. They are more efficient, and sound pretty good as small pro subwoofers go.
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BassAwdyO
Yes I would also agree with BAM... pro 18" subs are the way to go!

If you want to keep it on a budget....
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-085
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-444

I own four of the hammer subs and I'd reccomend them for the price... the dayton has nearly the same parameters, just a little more excursion perhaps and a lower Fs.
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I appreciate the input.

as a second best solution, is there something that be done with the HE-15 that would make for a good music foundation in the large building?
Old 22nd November 2006, 11:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

placement will greatly affect the result
Old 23rd November 2006, 12:37 AM   #6
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
The place for the HE-15 really isn't in any professional audio setting like this one. Either sell it, or find it an application in home theater or hi-fi audio.
Old 23rd November 2006, 03:09 AM   #7
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW - look up the parameters and ask Bill Fitzmaurice

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 24th November 2006, 12:56 AM   #8
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

HE-15 parameters can be found here:
http://www.wmeckle.com/GREG/Greg.htm

Not listed is the inductance, which IIRC is quite high, something like 4-7 mH. Most simulators don't factor in inductance, so the predictions from most software are actually incorrect when inductance gets high. High inductance will cause a bump in response.

My first thought is to put it in a ~100 liter box tuned in the ~25Hz range, and make sure you cut frequencies below 20Hz sharply. That is based on the given parameters and not factoring in VC inductance. If I were "really" designing something for this woofer I would measure carefully and simulate from there.
Old 29th November 2006, 10:32 PM   #9
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi masterp2. Regardless of what driver you decide to use, it may be worth a visit to the JBLPro site. There is a lot of information there regarding your application.

What is happening about the rest of the spectrum? The sub needs to match that.

Just getting down to the lower bass strings at realistic levels in that venue will take a bit of oomph, and some.

Also, the HE15 you refer to, is that the 15 sub intended for HT use? (AE?)
The model no is used by several. Carver for one. (Bass Guitar)
You need to ask yourself how important is it to go lower for sound effects. That's really going to take some ooomph.

I would enjoy the project if some one else was financing it!
Old 30th November 2006, 03:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The HE-15 is the TC sounds driver from a few years ago, one of those ultra excursion drivers, yes originally produced as an effects driver. Common uses are HT, ported and PR applications.

My objective to to produce some 100 dB bass down to 30 HZ, again for strings mostly, some keyboard, maybe even some drum mics. I want a portable solution.

There is an existing sub, located up on the cieling between 2 mains. Not familiar with the drivers, but I am getting up to speed on the processing, centrally processed using Shure P4800. I have no idea why a professional install would put a sub up on a 25 ft cieling, seems like a bad idea. In any event, bass is pretty pathetic, muddy, undefined.

Hide this!Advertise here!