Wow ! Bass from no bass ....!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if you have come across the concept of using harmonics only and depend on the brain to generate the fundamental frequencies which are absent at low frequencies.
Does this really work well ? Can it audibly be good enough to dump all those 18 inch subs ? I doubt it ! But lets have some discussion on this.

I would feel that the physical presence of REAL low frequencies cannot be duplicated by the MaxxBass system.
Read about the ASIC here
http://www.maxx.com/Content.aspx?id=184

Cheers.

Acoustic Energy's Aego M and older series uses this trick for the sub. http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

It has decent looking 4.5" active woofer at the back, powered by chipamps and an oval, large passive radiator in front behind the grill cloth.

Bass was perceived to be slow tho more enjoyable than cheaper pc speakers.

I forgot which processor was used and don't know enough to suggest if a high fidelity version can be done. I used to own a set and can't say i miss the Aego... i've preferred real bass smacking me about :)

fishball79 said:

Acoustic Energy's Aego M and older series uses this trick for the sub. http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

hi,

There is nothing in the documentation that suggests this is the case.

In fact the original post describers why a person can perceive the
fundamental in music when the speakers does not produce the
fundamental well. It is not a trick, all notes have harmonics at n x
the fundamental frequency.

Octavers produce a note one octave below the fundamental. The
Maxx system appears to suggest it generates harmonics at 1/2
x n mutiples of the fundamental, suggesting the fundamental
is one octave lower, could work, will not sound good though.

:)/sreten.

I'm gonna have to hide behind the heard-it-myself-&-cant-find-the-site-that-explained-it excuse.

My experience was with the Aego 2s which i doubt is any much different from the new M series apart from a more up to date aesthetic design. There really isn't any low bass but you get the perception that there is, if you dont listen closely enough.

Old Stuff

Those things have been out for a long time now...in the late seventies I worked at a discotheque...as it was I talked/probed & generally weaseled my way to the sound booth...The thing was called a sub-harmonic synthesizer, I believe it was made by ADC, it would take signals at 50 hz & below, halve the frequencies & reinsert them into the audio stream.....as the system obviously had a roll-off in frequencies selected to be processed, I could hear an obvious difference in the sound & I can even tell a few recordings where they turn the synthesizer off & on thruout certain musical passages. One particular popular song from Madonna I can hear it....no doubt....I keep a keen ear open to that particular sound to see who still uses one.
______________________________________Rick.........

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had the MAXXBASS chip in the late great Virgin "Boom Tube". Sure didn't add any bass there. Might not have been the processor, tho. The drivers were tiny.

The Boom Tube was cool. I gave it to my son, he likes it - but says "where's the bass?" :)

I subscribe to a few professional audio mags.

One came with a demo Maxxbass DVD a few months back.
I threw it on for yuks.

At least in their demo it works fantastically well!

I tried it with both two tinny little SONY TV built in speakers and with some surprisingly good homebrewed 5 1/4" + 8" PR speakers that I made years ago (the low bass will surprise you) and it worked great with them as well... although they didn't need the augmentation.

I did not overdrive either speaker.

One would suspect that they use a DSP chip, HP the main music path, take the LP'd section, run it through an algorithm, figure out the proper ratios and then re-inject it back mixed together...

My gut feeling is that if you are driving ur speakers into a fair amount of distortion (loud) or you are in a car with significant +/- nodes then the stock Maxxbass algorithm is not going to sound that good since the ratios won't be right acoustically.

Of course they may have "cherry picked" the demo source, and it may sound like pure merde in the real world...

Interesting stuff though...

_-_-bear

Phat Pro

Hi all, couldn't help reading so thought I'd add to it.
Phat Pro by Delaydots is a VST plugin that is a subharmonic synthesizer. Open it up in Wavelab 5 and put some seriously nasty cone flapping frequencies into your mixing.Excersise caution with the low end its easily overdone, and can damage your gear. Havin said that, if you be patient with the settings you can have fun beefing up an old recording. More for dance than anything else.

Cheers Mikee55:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.