AUSSIES- Group buy from TC sounds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, nice find. That IS cheap. Shipping to melbourne is $178US each tho. Shipping for 8 daytons is $1300US. No free lunch. This is getting to be a real PITA. Seems a 'group buy' doesnt really change things unless perhaps we organise our own shipping?

TC Sounds ship their 15" drivers in large wood crates now which is very $$. I have emailed them to see if there is another method to reduce this cost. Waiting on reply.......

Peerless looking good once again :rolleyes:

Hi...............l brought in some avalanche drivers last year, and my advice is try getting them sent by sea frieght as air freight is expensive...mine ended up at nearly $900au each by the time they got to my door, and that was buying them at the closeout price of $275 u.s each

customs , gst, various frieght charges and handling fees basically doubled the price of the drivers.......nice drivers though :)

if you brought them in in small lots you would'nt attract gst & custom charges but it would be a painfully slow process

cheers ken

I keep getting shelved. I have been contacting via PM on their website. I have requested a special quote for shipping the basket and the magnet separately in cardboard. They simply screw together with a quarter turn. They would normally ship all 15" in a very large heavy wood crate which blows the shipping sky high.
I really need to call them about this to finally get a quote, tho they did acknowlege it was a good idea. I will have to call friday night as it has to be after midnight.

btw, I just got two 12" xxls and 3 metres of sonotube:D but Im still very interested in the TC stuff if shipping is sorted!

Rythmic Audio TC servo drivers

Another option I'm interested in is the TC setup from Rythmik Audio, which is the TC 12" and 15" woofers modified for use with a servo, and includes the amp and servo electronics. Looks pretty much like an ultimate setup and the price is very reasonable for a kit and possibly if we arrange a group buy the shipping won't be a killer.

Anyone interested?

Regards,
Dean

Rythmik audio

I've been investigating this further, and the servo kit does look like good value even with shipping costs to Aus. I'm going to purchase 2 12" kits assuming that I will need 2 to get the bass balance right in my room. The servo subs have gotten decent reviews for their balanced and low distortion implementation, with reasonable (but not monster) SPL.

If I end up only needing one (my mains do -3db at 25Hz) then I'll sell the other locally as a made up kit, as I assume I could offload it without too much trouble.

Regards,
Dean

I went ahead and purchased 3 of these kits, 2 12 inch "CV" models (for smaller boxes) and 1 15 inch for a friend. Only problem due to the weight I took the cheaper shipping option so it will take 8-10 weeks on the slow boat to arrive :bigeyes:

I'll post back once its assembled and I've listened to it for a while.

Regards,
Dean

I have to wait for 8 weeks for the boat to arrive, but will let you know how it goes. I am still a bit of a DIY n00b, so any advice on what would be a good design for the enclosure will be appreciated :)

I am finishing off a pair of Zaphs Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC at the moment. Enclosure following the design he posted but modded for 25mm MDF and a shelf brace. Just have to build the crossover now. Cabinets are finished in tassie oak with metallic grey removable baffles just like the ones from Parts Express.

Thinking of 32mm MDF for the sub, a fairly standard rectangular enclosure with lots of bracing using the volume and stuffing Rythmic recommend, if you have any ideas/websites etc feel free to pass them on, I will be interested in having a look.
Cheers
Andrew

I have built a couple of speakers previously so not a n00b but I wouldn't class myself as an expert. You can't really go wrong with these kits as long as you ensure they are sturdily built, dont have leaks and keep to the minimum internal area.

I like the idea of a downfiring woofer as it protects the driver from being kicked, you get a dB lift from the floor "mirror" effect, better couples the very low frequencies to the floor which allows you to feel the bass as well as hear it, helps reduce any point source effect which can be a problem if you have a higher freq crossover, and gives you more options in the box design.

As I have veneer MDF I'll use mitred joints but to increase the strength I'll have triangular offcuts glued to each inside join line, as well as internal bracing arranged in off-symmetry fashion with holes of different sizes to reduce standing wave resonances.

Pretty simple.

Regards,
Dean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.