Two Car Subs + Power Amplifier = Plausible? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2006, 05:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Two Car Subs + Power Amplifier = Plausible?

Currently, I have no subwoofer in my room. I'm really into music, and this is what I'd use it for, but I also would like to power basement parties and such. But I have no money, so here comes my "plan"

-Snag two Alpine Type-E's (10", 250W Rms, 4 ohm) from ebay. They go fairly cheap and seem like good quality;
-Get some sort of a power amplifier (a dj type) that will allow me to hook up an input from the receiver, and then power those two suckers. Looked at a Crown Power Tech 1, seems like it would do the job, but it's a little overpowered;
-Then build an enclosure, paint it nice glossy black, and put it in the corner of my room. Or in the basement of a party.

How does this sound? I think I might be able to pull it off assuming i can get an amp for cheap. And all that satisfaction from building it myself and not blowing up anything would be great.

Some concerns: any reason why the Alpine's wont work in a room?
Will the power amp paired with the subs be alright quality?
I'm not trying to go for great quality, just looking for chest pumping bass.
Old 29th October 2006, 09:49 PM   #2
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
I still think you should look for a driver that's targeted towards the home market, instead of one that is targeted towards the car market. In general, a hi-fi market subwoofer will probably be more efficient, because it has less pretty plastic hanging from its moving structure. A lot of car woofers are just designed to soak up wattage without overheating, so heavy moving structures and stiff suspensions are common. Look at the Dayton Classic 15" subwoofer driver. This is a new one that I don't think many people are taking notice of, but it would probably suit your application well.
Old 30th October 2006, 01:12 AM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
Two Car Subs + Power Amplifier = Plausible?
Plausible!

B
Attached Images
File Type: gif alpineswe-1042-ob.gif (39.8 KB, 227 views)
Old 30th October 2006, 01:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: gif alpineswe-1042-fr.gif (25.5 KB, 189 views)
Old 30th October 2006, 01:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to minitruck_freq
get a single 15" Dayton Quatro from Parts Express and a 250 watt plate amp. it will be more than enough.

Cody.
Old 30th October 2006, 01:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

some box data
Attached Images
File Type: gif alpineswe-1042.gif (35.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 30th October 2006, 01:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes I agree, two of these are at similar price:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-550

A better choise for home use if you really are into music.

B
Old 30th October 2006, 03:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

But you probably can't find that cheap. I can easily get the 10's for 30-35 shipped a peice.

Any good subwoofers that I can get cheap? Such as the JBL PSW-1200. that I could probably pick up for like 150. Any such other subwoofers? Again, don't really care about movies, but more geared towards music.
Old 30th October 2006, 03:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Another option is to pick up a Peavey pv-118, it's an 18 inch sub that accepts 400 watts into 8 ohms.
What are the cheapest options for powering this (with some sort of quality in mind)?
Also, 18" is gonna be good for music, right?
Old 30th October 2006, 12:00 PM   #10
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Now you're talking about pro sound woofers. There are only a handful of pro audio subs that even have their -3dB point below 40 Hz, because true deep bass reproduction in pro audio applications is not very practical without very large arrays of boxes. As far as an 18" woofer being good for music, driver diameter's got nothing to do with it. A pro sound 18" woofer has a relatively light moving structure compared with a car subwoofer, so it will be more efficient, but the "musicality" of any design is usually more dependent on the box design. Most pro sound drivers are designed with a similar set of parameters for some degree of interchangability, so it's easier to make more general statements about pro audio drivers. A pro audio 18" woofer generally wants a large box, not tuned very deep (usually between 30-50 Hz). This would be a good way to get thump for your basement parties, and should go deep enough for most music. It should also be fairly efficient, allowing you to get loud with less power than you would need if you were using the Alpines.

Hide this!Advertise here!