A coffee table idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Long time since I posted anything....my sub story so far

Driver : Bolton 8".
Box: 4th Order

I have been trying to find possible 4th order box designs (Qts about .6 I know this is too high but already brought this :()

First attempt...

a conventional 4th order with a 3 inch port.
Result: I could hear the chuffing clearly

Second attempt....

Again the same box now with 4" ports.
Result: this time it was better but on high volumes the chuffing was there.

Then while browsing the net I came across the "Wicked one" (Decware) and decided to make something similar (though the result is nothing from similar ;)). I didn’t go for the conventional horn design since my woodworking skills where not so great. I altered this box to have a conical port. The sound improved dramatically!!! Now the only noise I hear now is of the speakers when it is driven to its limit (the speaker is only 50 W and begins to degrade even before that :( ). Anyway the whole idea was to see if the thing works. I decided on the initial throat area (~ to 4" PVC pipe) and calculated the outer area (mouth) based on the length of the box (approx 50 cm).

A variation of this idea would be to have a polygon box having the port starting from the center and growing outwards. This way we can achieve two things
1. Reduce the length of the port
2. Making the box omni directional.
Sorry if I confused you guys...just that it hard for me to put the idea into words.. to make it less confusing I have attached the box plan made in google sketchup...
This is just any idea and I am not sure about the complexities in design and acoustic properties. Just wanted have a discussion on this so that I can improve on my design

Venki.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 627
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.