Need info on Rythmik TC sounds drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2006, 08:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Need info on Rythmik TC sounds drivers

Hi, I'm finalizing my sub plans. It will be a sealed configuration. Enclosure volume will be determined by the driver I choose. Size isn't an issue. I have a Rythmik Audio A370-SE 24db Non-Servo Amp. My questions are about the drivers Rythmik lists on their website. If I understand correctly, they are manufactured by TC Sounds. I'm looking at either the DS12TC, or DS15TC. When I go to the TC website, I don't find the same drivers Rythmik lists. I understand that TC has recently changed their website. Have they also changed their drivers? Rythmik only sells them with the amp, which I already have, so I'd like to order them direct from TC, but I don't want to be a guinea pig for new untested products. Does anyone have any experience with The newer TC drivers? Specifically a 12, or 15 svc 4ohm model. Any help is appreciated. I plan to contact both companies, but also thought, that somebody here might be able to guide me. Thanks for all the great info that got me to this point!
Old 9th October 2006, 04:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The reason you won't find the drivers on their site is probably that the Rythmik drivers are made exclusively for Rythmik audio.

It does seem a shame to go with a Rythmik amp and driver, yet not use the servo option!

They are the only diy option I know of when it comes to a servo sub. If I were in the market for a new sub, then a servo kit would be at the top of my list.
Old 9th October 2006, 07:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Servo

Paul, Thanks for your input. I did some more research, and I think you're right. Servo is the way to go. I think I can upgrade my amp with rythmik's servo board/resistor since I have the non servo version of their amp. It also seems that rythmik can modify existing drivers to servo operation. I don't mind using rythmik drivers, but like you, I want a silver brushed aluminum finish. In fact, your Stryke drivers are exactly like the TC sounds subs I'm looking at. That seems more than coincidental. Rythmik's DS15 has the right finish, but I'm hoping to stick with a 12". I'm going to contact rythmik to see what my options are. Thanks again for your input, and You've designed a beautiful system for yourself. Channing Orsi
Old 10th October 2006, 03:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Channing, AE speakers, formerly Stryke, originally sourced their drivers from TC sounds and their AV series was an adaption of standard TC drivers. AE speakers now make their drivers in house, and have changed the drivers quite a lot - different parameters, designed for a smaller box as I recall, also with dual shorting rings which the AV series didn't previously have. Also they have different spiders. The original AV drivers were biased towards home theatre with more emphasis on brute force than fidelity. My feeling is they could perform better in terms of accuracy, and are best crossed in the midbass. The new versions seem to have been improved, and with the shorting rings I expect they would be substantially better.

The TC drivers are more biased towards SQ and they talk about this on the site. Without the servo I'd expect they are on par with all drivers except those with flat BL designs such as the best Adire and TC sounds drivers. However, with the servo, they would be very hard to beat.

If you want servo, just go with their 12" driver and see if you can get your amp upgraded. I doubt converting another driver is going to be cost effective. You may find it is not suitable, and that is then going to be a costly exercise. The 12" is a great looking driver - I tend to prefer it to mine in looks actually, the cone is formed out of one piece and I prefer the darker colour.

I know what you mean about 12" drivers. They are a nice size. They are happier in a smaller box. Often a 15" will have an identical motor but with the larger cone it requires a MUCH larger box to gain the extra 2 - 3 db of efficiency. If you end up choosing to do a vented box, it doesn't have to be ridiculously big.

I know originally the Rythmik drivers were from TC sounds, but I'm not sure if this is still the case. I vaguely remember discussions of this I think on this forum. Brian can tell you.

I have been waiting to hear back from a local guy who has the kit, as I'm quite keep to hear it.

Now if I were starting from scratch in a new HT room, do you know what I'd want to do? A large 20 Hz bass horn with two Rythmik direct servos, push pull mounted. Done right it would be ultra low distortion and churn out 130 dB @ 20 Hz with ease with distortion numbers most subs wouldn't touch at 100 db. I do believe I will actually do it eventually, hopefully some time in the next 10 years!
Old 13th October 2006, 08:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The DS15TC and DS12TC are all based on TC2+ motor. Our products are not direct derivatives of TC sounds' product lines because I have designed these drivers to match with our amps. In addition, we have this servo feedback signals that TC drivers do not have. So the design objectives can be different between our drivers and TC sounds' standard products.

Brian

Rythmik Audio

Hide this!Advertise here!