Building Subwoofer Cross Overs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for good educational links to self teach how to construct crossovers. I still dont understand what the inductors do with certain ratings or what the caps do depenindg on the rating?

Some help please.

I am looking to build a 70hz-80hz drop off with an 8db-12db decreasing slope towards 100hz.

If anyone has a design in mind...I'd love to see the schematic for it!

Dominick

Dominick,

That makes for some big time chokes and caps. Your choices are 6 db/octave, 12, 18, 24 etc. If you choose 12 dB then you will have a choke (inductor) in series with the woofer and a capacitor in parallel. You have to know what the impedance of the driver is at the frequency you wish to XO at. Here is a calculator. Go to 2 way networks. Click and go to second order -12dB.

http://www.mhsoft.nl/spk_calc.asp

hmmm,

A plate amp?

That sounds much easier, but will my output performance suffer?

I am trying to build a sub similar the the Martin Logan Descent. I actually already have the 3 exact subs that they use in the descent!

Now I just need to build an enclosure and supply an amp!

Suggestions?

Dominick

Dominick22 said:
I looked into the plate amps offered on parts express and the best one they had was 1000 watts at 4 ohms.

If I run all 3 subs in one enclosure, I will need an amp with similar wattage or better capable of a 2 ohm continuous load.

How are you coming up with those numbers? Are you picking them out of the air or did you use a simulator? How did you arrive at 3 drivers? My sealed 15" sub sits 99% of the time at 1/2 vol on a 250W amp.

well, they are sort of arbitrary numbers.

I am looking to create a balanced for design like the Martin Logan Descent. I want to pretty much do a DIY project of this commercial sub.

It uses 3 10" divers in one cabinet and is pushed by 400 watts rms and up to 800 at peaks. I would like to have about 1000 watts so that I am not pushing the amp to its absolute limits.

And if I wired an amp to all 3 8Ohm subs, the load would effectively be 2Ohms on the amp!

Unless you know of a way to negate this.

Otherwise, I may have to drop the project and build a single sub design.

So, I pretty much need either a way to wire 3 8Ohm subs into a 4Ohm stable amp or find a 2Ohm stable amp.

Thanks,
Dominick

The drivers are the EXACT same drivers that Martin Logan uses in the Descent. They come straight from the company, but without any specs. They only send to people who need replacement drivers for the descent. They are not supposed to be available for DIY.

I got lucky to get them at all really.

So yes, the drivers are selected and I actually have them in my possession.

Dominick

Do you have the TS parameters on those drivers?

Is the Descent ported or sealed?

3 is a weird number of drivers, you are going to have problems finding an amp that can drive them no matter how you wire them.

Personally, I'd just use two of them in parallel. Sealed or ported would depend on the T/S parameters of the drivers. With the size of the plate amp depending on the size of the room, and the instended usage.

But then I'm not big on duplicating commercial designs. One of the great advantages of DiY is that you can build something that fits your needs exactly. And subwoofers are about the easiest component to design.

I believe the descent is a sealed servo feedback driven sub, so I doubt it's that much of a standard plate amp inside.

As to the xo question, try looking around the linkwitz site for some good reading.

I'd try and get one more driver so I could use 2 per channel on a pro amp - can still do the force cancellation with 4 drivers.

Cheers,

Rob.

btw my friend has a descent and it's one of the best subs I've ever heard on music. (setup in a small room approx 13'x10')

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.